Link

JUST IN: Nigeria discharges five coronavirus patients in Lagos

Nigeria has discharged five coronavirus patients at the Infectious Disease Centre, Yaba Mainland Hospital, Lagos under the supervision of Lagos State Government and Lagos state ministry of health.

This brings to eight the total number of discharged patients from the Centre.

The patients are said to have fully recovered from the virus and tested negative after being quarantined for weeks.


Although the discharged patients preferred anonymity, they expressed joy and satisfaction over the treatments they received.
While thanking the State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu for his support and proactiveness, they pleaded that the workers at the Centre should be given life insurance.
While speaking to the press, one of the patients said, I came in here on the 15th and after the test showed positive, I was asked to come back the next day. So I was admitted here.

“Initially, there were hitches but it later turned out fine. The health workers did fine, all our challenges were attended to. I’m a living witness together with my other colleagues.”

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/covid-19-saga-condom-scarcity-looms-says-producer/

He gave an impressive hope, saying people should not panic as the virus could be defeated.

“We can beat it, I want to assure others that this is not their resting place. Encourage yourselves, take your medications and in no distant time, you will get out of here.

“I want to appeal to the federal government and Lagos State government that, they should remunerate all those workers who have volunteered to work accordingly, so as to serve as an encouragement to others, adding that, “If they are not here as first responders, many would have died.”

Another patient said, “I was admitted last Sunday. Initially, there were challenges, the following day, they brought bed, mask and some equipment.

“Apart from what my colleague said, the workers should be insured. Proper insurance will let people do what they have to do.

He narrated a scenario where the workers could not attend to him because he tested positive, saying “they went back and I slept off, I woke up around 3 a.m. So they deserve life insurance to encourage them to do their job.”

Link

[JUST IN] Sports: Tokyo Olympics to open July 23, 2021

The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games have been rescheduled to start on July 23, 2021 after being postponed due to coronavirus, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has confirmed.

The Games will run until August 8, taking up the same slot as originally scheduled for 2020, while the Paralympic Games will now take place from August 24 to September 5.

“These new dates give the health authorities and all involved in the organisation of the Games the maximum time to deal with the constantly changing landscape and the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic,” a joint statement from the IOC, International Paralympic Committee, Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee and Japanese Government read.

“The new dates, exactly one year after those originally planned for 2020 also have the added benefit that any disruption that the postponement will cause to the international sports calendar can be kept to a minimum, in the interests of the athletes and the international federations.

“Additionally, they will provide sufficient time to finish the qualification process. The same heat mitigation measures as planned for 2020 will be implemented.”

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/covid-19-saga-condom-scarcity-looms-says-producer/

The Executive Board of the Organisers of Tokyo 2020 met on Monday and announced the required number of volunteers had been reached, and will now be asking those who have confirmed their roles if they would participate in the rescheduled Games.

Torchbearers who were confirmed for the postponed Torch Relay will also be given priority selection for next year’s Olympic Torch Relay.

Organisers are working on measures to ensure purchased tickets will be valid for corresponding rescheduled events next year and that face value refunds are given to ticket holders who cannot attend events in 2021.

In addition, the organisers have announced all 18 Olympic Test events from April 2020 onwards are postponed.

Link

COVID-19 Saga: Condom scarcity looms, says producer

The world ’ s biggest maker of condoms , Karex Bhd , has warned of a global shortage as supply falls by almost 50 per cent while its stockpile is set to last for just another two months.

Group Chief Executive Officer at Karex , Goh Miah Kiat , revealed this to Bloomberg in an interview .

He also warned that Condoms could also get much more expensive.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-akure-explosion-ig-sets-up-probe-panel/

Kiat said demand was growing at “ double digits” as governments around the world issued stay – at – home notices and many people abstain from having children due to the uncertain future .

“ I would definitely say this is an unprecedented stage, we have never seen such a disruption .

“ We are still paying all our workers ’ full salaries but workers only come in half the time so generally there will be a cost increase , ” he added .

Link

[JUST IN] Akure explosion: IG sets up probe panel

The Inspector – General of Police , Mohammed Adamu , has set up a Special Investigation Team to unravel the cause of the explosion that occurred at Ogbese near Akure , the Ondo State capital early Saturday.

The team, which is headed by Maikudi Shehu , Commissioner of Police in charge of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit , Force Headquarters , Abuja , has as members , police officers from the Police Bomb Disposal Squad , a specialised arm of the police that oversees explosives and ordinance operations of the Force .

The blast was reportedly caused by exploding dynamites which destroyed over 50 houses and injured over 20 persons , including some policemen who were accompanying it to a quarry in Edo State .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/breaking-covid-19-cases-top-700000-globally/

While the police in Ondo State attributed the incident to an explosion from the dynamites , a professor of Geophysics at the Obafemi Awolowo University , Ile – Ife , Adepelumi Adekunle , contradicted their findings , saying a giant rock from space known as meteor impacted the location

But a statement in Abuja on Monday , by the force spokesman , Frank Mba , said the police investigation team would work jointly with experts from the Nigerian Geological Survey Agency .

It noted , “The NGSA Agency has a state – of – the – art laboratory with the capacity and expertise to carry out a wide range of geo – scientific examinations including Laboratory /Forensic Examinations, Geochemical Analysis of Rocks, Minerals, Water , Sewage , Soil Samples and Site Investigations amongst others.

“ The IG hopes that with the involvement of NGSA , the quality and integrity of investigations into the explosion will be greatly enhanced . ”

Adamu cautioned residents not to tamper with the scene of the incident as investigations continues .

He also sympathised with the government and people of Ondo State particularly victims , who sustained injuries or lost their property to the explosion .

Link

BREAKING: COVID-19 cases top 700,000 globally

More than 700 , 000 cases of the novel coronavirus have been officially declared around the world since the start of the pandemic , according to an AFP tally at 0800 GMT Monday (today) based on official sources.

There have been at least 715 , 204 cases including 33 , 568 fatalities in 183 countries and territories.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-ui-team-predicts-312-covid-19-cases-by-friday/

These are notably in the United States which has reported 143 , 025 cases and 2 , 514 deaths and Italy with 97 , 689 cases and the world ’ s highest death toll of 10 , 779 .

China , where the outbreak first emerged in December , has registered 81 , 470 cases and 3 , 304 deaths .

The figures represent only a fraction of the number of infections as many countries only carry out tests on suspected cases if they are hospitalised or with severe symptoms .

AFP

Link

JUST IN: UI team predicts 312 COVID-19 cases by Friday

The number of confirmed COVID- 19 cases in Nigeria will be at least 312 by Friday, April 3 , the University of Ibadan Committee on COVID- 19 Data Analysis and Management has predicted .

As of 10 . 40 pm on Saturday, March 28 , Nigeria had recorded 97 confirmed cases of COVID- 19 .

This was an increase of 27 cases from the 70 confirmed cases as of 8 pm on Friday, March 27 .

In a graphical report , the UI team said if the current trend continued, the number of confirmed COVID- 19 cases in Nigeria would hit 312 by Friday, April 3 .

The graphical report shared by UI ’ s Deputy Vice- Chancellor , Research , Innovation and Strategic Partnership , Prof . Olanike Adeyemo , on her Facebook wall “ shows the rate at which the infection is being transmitted among those who were exposed to COVID- 19 . ”

The explanatory note on one of the graphs read , “ Approximately 70 . 4 per cent of those people currently infected with COVID – 19 were initially exposed to the disease on day 12 of the occurrence of the disease in Nigeria .

“ The predictive model is an indication that the disease will continue to be on the increase in the days ahead and that time, in days , accounted for 89 . 0 per cent of the variation in the cumulative confirmed cases of COVID- 19 in Nigeria.

“ If the current trend continues, the number of confirmed cases of COVID – 19 is expected to be at least 312 by 3 rd April , 2020 . ”

Link

JUST IN: Senators donate half salaries, to slash NASS 2020 budget

The senators have agreed to donate half of their March salaries to the fight against the spread of coronavirus in the country .

They are however still consulting among themselves on the amount to cut from their own portion of the N128 bn National Assembly budget approved for the year .

Investigations by news correspondent revealed that the senators have started sending half of their salaries to a dedicated account .

The account it was learnt was being coordinated by the Senate Committee on House Services .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/28/just-in-nigerias-ministers-donate-50-of-march-salary-to-covid-19-fight/

The Senate Minority Leader , Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe , confirmed to news correspondent that his colleagues had started donating half of their March salaries .

He said , “We ’ ve already given out 50 per cent of our salaries like ministers , ( to government ) amidst other individual efforts to our constituents . ”

But the Leader of the Senate, Senator Yahaya Abdullahi , told our correspondent on Sunday that the senators were still consulting on the matter .

He , however , disclosed that the senators would not do exactly what the ministers have done .

He said , “ The senators are still consulting. The result of our consultations will be made open tomorrow (today ) Monday .

“ We are not doing exactly what the ministers have done . ”

Abdullahi also said that the leadership of the National Assembly had not agreed on when to reconvene and review the 2020 national budget .

A senator, however , news correspondent on condition of anonymity that the part of the sacrifice that members of the Senate wanted to make was to reduce their own portion of the N128 bn National Assembly budget .

He said , “ We have agreed to slash the National Assembly budget for this year in line with the current reality. It is certain that the Federal Government will reduce the N10 . 59 tn national budget because of the reduction in the revenue to fund it. So , we are reducing our own too. ”

Link

JUST IN: FG plans Internet connection for varsities, others by 2025

The Federal Government is planning to connect all tertiary institutions in the country to the Internet in the next five years .

The government also plans to reach 50 per cent of secondary schools and 25 per cent of primary schools in the country with Internet connection by ensuring that institutions are located within five kilometres of fibre infrastructure or a fixed connection .

The plans to achieve these are contained in the Nigerian National Broadband Plan 2020 – 2025 .

As part of the plans , one general or major hospital per local government area as well as federal medical centres across the country would have access to Internet connectivity in the next five years .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-well-sustain-power-transmission-despite-covid-19-tcn-workers/

Stakeholders in the telecommunication industry also plan to increase internet download speed from a minimum of three megabytes per second in urban areas this year to 25 mbps while delivering a minimum of 10 mbps in rural areas by 2025 .

They estimated that extensive deployment of fibre optics infrastructure and connection to towers would help the country to achieve 90 per cent 4 G coverage in the next five years .

According to the NBP , another area of focus is the need for denser fibre network in order to aggregate fibre from base stations and across metro areas .

“ To date , fibre density in Nigeria remains particularly low with approximately 10 per cent of base stations connected to fibre and majority of the fibre networks over -built on the same routes.

“ The continued reliance on narrow band microwave links remains a limiting factor in terms of aggregate capacity and stability of mobile networks , especially in a challenging electricity supply environment . Denser metro fibre networks will also provide the essential building blocks for future fibre – to – the – x networks , ” it stated .

Speaking at the unveiling of the plans in Abuja , the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rted . ) , urged mobile network operators to ensure full attainment of the targets set in the new National Broadband Plan 2020 – 2025 by giving special attention to the un – served and underserved areas when deploying telecom services.

Buhari expressed concern about the challenges faced by operators in the country, particularly vandalism of telecommunications equipment and directed the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy , Dr Isa Pantami , to work with all relevant government agencies to ensure full protection of critical national infrastructure such as telecoms infrastructure.

He emphasised the Federal Government’ s commitment to ensuring that all stakeholders have a right environment to ensure the successful implementation of the broadband plan , which would seek to boost broadband penetration as well as support the deployment of 4 G across the country.

The Executive Vice Chairman , Nigerian Communications Commission , Prof . Umar Danbatta, recalled that when the Buhari ’ s regime came in 2015 , broadband penetration was hovering between four and six per cent , adding that broadband penetration had now reached 38 . 5 per cent .

Link

COVID-19: Tinubu donates N200m to Lagos govt, NCDC

NATIONAL Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has donated N200 million as part of efforts in fighting the scourge of coronavirus.

Tinubu, who made this known on his Twitter handle, while announcing the suspension of this year’s Bola Tinubu Colloquium, said the donation was made to the Lagos State government and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC.

The former governor said: “Today, but for COVID-19 we would, as we have done for the last 12 years, have celebrated this day with the Bola Tinubu Colloquium. We could not do so this year but by God’s grace, we will do so again.

”The circumstances this year prevented us from gathering together to celebrate my birthday but I would still like to mark the occasion.

”That is why I have chosen today to announce that I will be making a donation of N200 million to fight this deadly virus. Pursuant to this pledge, N100 million will be made available to the government of Lagos State and another N100 million to the NCDC to support their efforts in fighting the scourge of COVID-19. Together, we will overcome this disease.”

Meanwhile, the Centre for Leadership and Justice, CLJ, yesterday, commended the contributions of former Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Tinubu to national development.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-well-sustain-power-transmission-despite-covid-19-tcn-workers/

The group, in a statement by its President, Mr. Emmanuel Umohinyiang on the 68th birthday of the national leader of the APC, noted that Tinubu has demonstrated unparalleled loyalty to peace and progress of the nation, even at the risk of his life.

The statement reads “We join millions of Nigerians especially all lovers of democracy, across the globe in wishing Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, a trojan of our democratic struggle a happy 68th birthday.

“That Tinubu has clearly shown that he is committed to democratic struggle was not too late to identify after joining forces with the likes of Gani Fawehinmi, Balarabe Musa, Beko Ransom Kuti, Femi Falana, Baba Adesanya, Gen. Alani Akinrinade and many others during the NADECO era.

“He took the struggle to a higher height as Governor of Lagos State as he catapulted the state to the path of the progress and development has now been witnessed in the state.

“His intermittent interventions in the crisis in the APC is worthy of commendation, as this is what has made the party stay afloat thus far.

“This is not unexpected as the APC prides itself has a vehicle committed to taking Nigeria to the promised land, after sixteen wasted years of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

“Even with all these successes, he remains his humble self, accessible to all who are desirous of a better Nigeria that all of us will be proud of it.”

Link

JUST IN: We’ll sustain power transmission despite COVID-19 – TCN workers

Employees of the Transmission Company of Nigeria branch of the Senior Staff Association of Electricity and Allied Companies on Sunday vowed to sustain the evacuation of electricity despite challenges posed by the spread of coronavirus .

According to the President , TCN Branch of SSAEAC , Abidemi Dairo , the management of the transmission company has been proactive since the outbreak of the virus by ensuring the protection of workers .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/breaking-minister-commits-suicide-over-coronavirus-in-germany/

Dairo disclosed this while speaking on the failure of the national body of SSAEAC to release the N 25 m check – off dues that was meant for the association ’ s branch at the TCN.

He noted that the TCN workers on essential duty had sustained the wheeling of electricity across the country to ensure Nigerians got supply, as latest industry report showed that transmission infrastructure did not hinder power generation .
The report stated that on March 27 , 2020 , “4 , 144 . 5 megawatts ( of electricity ) was not generated due to unavailability of gas .

“ Zero megawatt was generated due to unavailability of transmission infrastructure, while 211 . 1 MW was not generated due to high frequency resulting from unavailability of distribution infrastructure. ”

Meanwhile , Dairo described the non -payment of the check – off dues of the TCN workers by the national body of SSAEAC as illegal .