Link

JUST IN: JAMB hands 195 UTME candidates to police for trial

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has handed over no fewer than 195 candidates in the just concluded Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examination to the police for prosecution over alleged involvement in various examination malpractices .

JAMB said that some of the candidates had been arraigned by the police in various courts while others were still undergoing further investigation and would also face trial .

The board in its weekly bulletin obtained by our correspondent published the names and states of the 195 candidates .

Last week, it had released the names of 149 candidates with Imo , Anambra and Enugu states topping the list with 26 , 12 and 12 candidates respectively.

Meanwhile , the number of suspects has risen to 195 with Imo , Anambra , Enugu , Kano and Kaduna states leading with 28 , 16 , 15 , 15 and 15 cases respectively.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/i-remain-in-isolation-until-i-fully-recover-makinde/

The offences listed against the candidates included ; examination by proxy , attempt to cheat , forceful entrance, tampering with examination documents , smuggling of mobile phones into the examination halls among others.

Other states on the list of malpractices included ; Abia , Adamawa , Jigawa , Kaduna , Kano, Kwara , Ondo , Oyo , and Osun .

The JAMB Head of Media , Dr Fabian Benjamin , said in an interview with news correspondent that the arrested candidates were with the police and arraignment had started .

He said , “ They ( the candidates ) are with the police . So the police will prosecute them. We don ’ t have prosecuting powers . When the police start prosecution, they certainly get across to us . Most of them have even been arraigned . When the arraignment is concluded , we will give you a comprehensive report . When we get to a stage that is important for everyone to know , we will let you know . But some of them have already been arraigned by the police . ”

The board had noted last week Thursday that despite the release of the 2020 UTME results , it would review all the Close Circuit Television footages and other installed technical gadgets for possible examination misconduct .

“ As part of its tradition , the board would not hesitate to withdraw the results of candidates found to have perpetrated any form of examination malpractice, ” JAMB said .

Link

JUST IN: Electricity tariff to increase on Wednesday

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission had disclosed this in its December 2019 Minor Review of Multi – Year Tariff Order 2015 and Minimum Remittance Order for the Year 2020 .

Checks by newsmen showed that the decision to increase tariff had not yet been suspended despite the lockdown occasioned by the COVID- 19 pandemic .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-coronavirus-deaths-hit-35000-worldwide/

A top source at Ikeja Electric told newsmen that the firm had not received any directive from NERC as regards reversal of the plan .

He said , “ According to the tariff order for the year, we are supposed to increase on April 1 , 2020 . So far , we have not received any directive not to go ahead . ”

Efforts to get NERC to speak on the matter were not successful on Monday as the spokesman for the commission , Usman Arabi , said he was not around but on a course at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies .

Arabi ’ s substitute , however , did not respond to calls or a text message sent to him .

NERC had disclosed in its December 2019 Minor Review of Multi – Year Tariff Order 2015 and Minimum Remittance Order for the Year 2020 that the order was issued to reflect the impact of changes in the minor review variables in the determination of cost- reflective tariffs and relevant tariff and market shortfalls for 2019 and 2020 .

The commission said the order also determined the minimum remittances payable by the distribution companies in meeting their market obligations based on the allowed tariffs .

It said , “The Federal Government’ s updated Power Sector Recovery Programme does not envisage an immediate increase in end- user tariffs until April 1 , 2020 , and a transition to full cost reflectivity by end of 2021 .

“ In the interim , the Federal Government has committed to funding the revenue gap arising from the difference between cost- reflective tariffs determined by the commission and the actual end- user tariffs payable by customers . ”

According to NERC , all Discos are obligated to settle their market invoices in full as adjusted and netted off by applicable tariff shortfall .

It said , “ All FGN intervention from the financing plan of the PSRP for funding tariff shortfall shall be applied through NBET and the market operator to ensure 100 per cent settlement of invoices issued by market participants .

“ Effectively , this order places a freeze on the tariffs of the TCN and administrative charges until April 2020 at the rates applied in generating MO invoices for the period of January to October 2019 . ”

Link

I remain in isolation until I fully recover — Makinde

Having been tested positive for Coronavirus, Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo has said that he remained asymptomatic and would remain in isolation until he fully recovers from the virus.

The governor who tweeted via his personal handle @seyiamakinde also said that he had appointed Prof Temitope Alonge, a former Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, as the Head of COVID-19 Task Force while he recovers.

It would be recalled that Governor Makinde was one of the governors who attended the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting in Abuja, penultimate week, where he met with a number of colleagues.

The Nigerian Governor’s Forum (NGF) had after the meeting advised its members who attended the Abuja meeting to go into self- isolation or undergo COVID-19 tests.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-coronavirus-deaths-hit-35000-worldwide/

The test result, which was delivered to the governor at about 5.30 pm indicated that he had tested positive to Coronavirus.

The news of Makinde’s positive test came on the heels of the release of the state’s index case from the COVID-19 isolation centre.

The release of the patient was consequent upon the completion of his treatment at the Agbami Chest Hospital isolation centre, Ibadan.

The American returnee had initially tested negative only for the second test to read positive.

The index case had been on self-isolation at a private residence in Ibadan until he was transferred to the Isolation centre at Agbami, Jericho area of Ibadan on March 23.

The index case was released after two consecutive negative tests, the statement read.

The statement also quoted the State’s Incident Manager, Dr. Taiwo Ladipo as saying that the confirmed case spent six days in the isolation centre and had two negative tests.

“He is well and very stable and is now back to his house. The infectious disease specialist will be reviewing him for follow up action,” the Manager said.

The governor stated in his tweet: “I just received my COVID-19 confirmation test result. It is positive. I am asymptomatic and will continue to self-isolate.”

“I have designated Prof Temitope Alonge, former Chief Medical Director of the University College, Ibadan, as the Head of COVID-19 Task Force while I recover fully. Please continue to comply with all the directives from the COVID-19 Task Force. Stay home, stay safe.”

“The dusk to dawn curfew (7 PM to 6 AM) has taken affect from today; no gatherings of more than ten people should be held anywhere in Oyo State. From tonight, Sunday, March 29, 2020, all markets will be closed except those selling perishable food items.”

“Also, inter-state transportation into and out of the state has been suspended from tonight, Sunday, March 29, 2020, except vehicles carrying food items, medical, pharmaceutical and petroleum products. All measures will be reviewed on a weekly basis.

“Thank you all. Please stay safe by following the proper hygienic practices, washing your hands regularly or using an alcohol-based hand sanitiser and also practicising social distancing. The EOC Helplines; 08095394000 / 08095963000 / 08078288999 / 08078288800.”

Link

JUST IN: Coronavirus deaths hit 35,000 worldwide

More than 35 , 000 people have died worldwide from the coronavirus pandemic since it emerged late last year in China , most of them in Europe , according to an AFP tally at 1615 GMT Monday using official figures .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-wuhan-records-no-coronavirus-case-for-six-days/

In total , 35 , 905 people have died , including 26 , 076 in Europe . Italy has the most deaths with 11 , 591 , following by Spain with 7 , 340 and China with 3 , 304 .

More than 740 , 00 cases have been officially detected in 183 countries and territories, including at least 408 , 203 in Europe , almost 150, 000 in the United States and Canada with 2 , 635 deaths and 106, 609 cases in Asia with 3 , 827 deaths .

Detected cases likely reflect only a fraction of the real number of infections as many countries are only testing the most serious cases.

AFP

Link

JUST IN: Wuhan records no coronavirus case for six days

China has reported a drop in new coronavirus infections for a fourth day as drastic curbs on international travellers reined in the number of imported cases.

Meanwhile , policymakers turned their efforts to healing the world ’ s second -largest economy .

The city of Wuhan , at the centre of the outbreak , reported no new cases for a sixth day , as businesses reopened and residents set about reclaiming a more normal life after lockdown for almost two months.

“ The Wuhan International Plaza is very representative of the city .

“ So its reopening really makes me feel this city is coming back to life , ’’ said Zhang Yu, 29 .

The National Health Commission said Sunday ’ s figure of 31 new cases, including one locally transmitted infection, was down from 45 the previous day .
As infections fall , policymakers are scrambling to revitalise an economy nearly paralysed by months- long curbs to control the spread of the flu-like disease .

The central bank unexpectedly cut the interest rate on reverse repurchase agreements by 20 basis points , the largest in almost five years .

The government is pushing businesses and factories to reopen , as it rolls out fiscal and monetary stimulus to spur recovery from what is feared to be an outright economic contraction in the quarter to March .

“ China ’ s exports and imports could worsen as the pandemic spreads , depressing demand both at home and abroad , ’’ Xin Guobin , the Vice Minister of Industry and Information Technology , said .

Xin said that the country has extended loans of 200 billion yuan ( $ 28 billion ) to 5 , 000 businesses , from 300 billion allocated to help companies as they resume work.

Reuters /NAN

Link

LOCKDOWN: We are not in war emergency, Soyinka tells Buhari

Nobel laureate , Prof . Wole Soyinka, has questioned the legality of the lockdown ordered by the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) .

According to reports, Buhari had ordered the lockdown of Abuja , Lagos and Ogun States in a bid to curb the spread of coronavirus in the country.

But Soyinka in a statement wondered if the president has the power to order such lockdown .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/lockdown-your-id-card-is-your-pass-minister-tells-journalists/

The Nobel laureate called on constitutional lawyers and lawmakers to clarify the legality or illegality of the lockdown .

He also warned against “constitutional piracy” in the fight against coronavirus in the country .

The statement , titled ‘ Between COVID and Constitutional Encroachment ’ , read in part , “ Constitutional lawyers and our elected representatives should kindly step into this and educate us , mere lay minds . The worst development I can conceive of us is to have a situation where rational measures for the containment of the Coronavirus pandemic are rejected on account of their questionable genesis .

“ This is a time for Unity of Purpose , not nitpicking dissensions . So , before this becomes a habit, a question : does President Buhari have the powers to close down state borders ? We want clear answers . We are not in a war emergency .

“ Appropriately focussed on measures for the saving lives , and committed to making sacrifices for the preservation of our communities , we should nonetheless remain alert to any encroachment on constitutionally demarcated powers . We need to exercise collective vigilance, and not compromise the future by submitting to interventions that are not backed by law and constitution.

“ Who actually instigates these orders anyway ? From where do they really emerge ? What happens when the orders conflict with state measures , the product of a systematic containment strategy – ` including even trial – and – error and hiccups – undertaken without let or leave of the Centre . So far , the anti – COVID- 19 measures have proceeded along the rails of decentralised thinking , multilateral collaboration and technical exchanges between states .

“ The Centre is obviously part of the entire process , and one expects this to be the norm , even without the epidemic ’ s frontal assault on the Presidency itself . Indeed , the Centre is expected to drive the overall effort , but in collaboration, with extraordinary budgeting and refurbishing of facilities .

“ The universal imperative and urgency of this affliction should not become an opportunistic launch pad for a sneak RE – CENTRALISATION , no matter how seemingly insignificant its appearance . I urge governors and legislators to be especially watchful. No epidemic is ever cured with constitutional piracy. It only lays down new political viruses for the future . ”

Link

JUST IN: Ogun lockdown to commence Friday – Abiodun

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State , has said the lockdown of the state has been shifted to Friday .

Abiodun said the state government made a request to the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) , to shift the lockdown which was supposed to take place on Monday night to Friday, April 3 , 2020 , and has been granted .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/lockdown-your-id-card-is-your-pass-minister-tells-journalists/

He said the request was to prepare for the lockdown by providing food for the people.

The governor said the lockdown would now take place on Friday and would be total except those on essential services.

Link

JUST IN: Ogun lockdown to commence Friday – Abiodun

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State , has said the lockdown of the state has been shifted to Friday .

Abiodun said the state government made a request to the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) , to shift the lockdown which was supposed to take place on Monday night to Friday, April 3 , 2020 , and has been granted .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/lockdown-your-id-card-is-your-pass-minister-tells-journalists/

He said the request was to prepare for the lockdown by providing food for the people.

The governor said the lockdown would now take place on Friday and would be total except those on essential services.

Link

LOCKDOWN: Your ID card is your pass, minister tells journalists

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has told journalists in states affected by the total lockdown over COVID-19 to use their identity, ID, card for easy movement.

A statement in Abuja by Segun Adeyemi, Special Assistant to the President, Office of the Minister of Information and Culture, advised all working journalists and other media staff in Lagos, Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, to use their ID cards as pass.

It stated that journalists “have been advised to use their valid Identity Cards to access their places of work and assignment venues during the 14-day lockdown directed by the President in the two states and the FCT.

“The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the clarification becomes necessary in view of the inadequate time to properly accredit working journalists in the affected states and the FCT during the period.

“He said members of the media are expected to continue to provide essential services during the lockdown, in order to keep Nigerians well updated on the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Link

UPDATED: We will earn half pay till Nigeria is free of COVID-19, says Senators

The Senate has pledged that its members would sustain the donation of their half salaries to the Federal Government until the nation is totally free of the pandemic .

Earlier,  reports had it that the senators agreed to donate half of their March 2020 salaries to the fight against coronavirus in Nigeria .

The red chamber , while confirming the report in a statement by its acting spokesperson , Senator Godiya Akwashiki , added that the federal lawmakers would continue the gesture beyond March .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/30/just-in-nigeria-discharges-five-coronavirus-patients-in-lagos/

Part of the statement read , “ After due consultations following a keen review of the national efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria, the Senate wishes to announce that from March 2020 , distinguished senators will be donating 50 per cent of our salaries to these efforts to stop the spread of the disease , otherwise known as COVID – 19 , in our country.

“ This monthly contribution from the Upper Legislative Chamber will be sustained until Nigeria is declared safe from the ravages of this deadly disease . ”

The Senate commended the efforts of the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd . ) and his regime towards the goal of securing the nation against this plague .

The Senate expressed its willingness and readiness to do whatever is required of the legislature for the effectiveness of all the measures now in place or that may be required in the future to win the fight against this menace .

“ It also acknowledges the patriotic response of public – spirited individuals and organisations who have contributed in one way or the other in support of this fight .

“ The Senate further appeals to the citizens to comply with the directives on social distancing and observance of basic rules of hygiene as explained by public health officials.

“ It is the most effective way to protect ourselves , families and country against COVID – 19 .

“ This is a global adversity that is testing the wit and resilience of mankind all over the world .

“ By staying resolute and each of us responsibly playing our roles , COVID- 19 like all epidemics before it will soon be pushed into history , ” the statement added.