Link

JUST IN: Egypt shuts hospitals, isolates villages to slow coronavirus

Egypt has shuttered several hospitals and quarantined villages in an attempt to halt the rising infection rate of new coronavirus in the most populous Arab state .

A Cairo hospital was closed for sterilisation late Saturday after two COVID- 19 cases were confirmed .

An official at Al – Salam hospital told AFP : β€œ We are currently disinfecting the hospital for the safety of everyone concerned . One patient had come in tested positive and a member of our staff was infected after ” .

He said no date was yet set for re -opening the facility .

Other hospitals have also been closed in the last week after recording cases of the virus , including the Alexandria University Hospital and Al – Shorouk hospital in Cairo.

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/breaking-minister-commits-suicide-over-coronavirus-in-germany/

Health ministry spokesperson Khaled Megahed also announced that villages in up to 10 governorates have been quarantined .

β€œ We have several infections from the same source … in what we call local transmission . Before it spreads to become a community transmission , we undertake this precautionary measure of quarantining the entire village… for 14 days , ” he said on a widely watched talk- show with popular host Lamees al – Hadidi on Saturday.

Egyptian doctors on social media have urged people to stay home to stem the rate of transmissions through social interactions .

The health ministry has reported 576 COVID- 19 cases , including 36 deaths .

Egypt imposed a night – time curfew last week for two weeks in a bid to contain the growing contagion , which has caused over 30 , 000 deaths globally .

Penalties for violators include a fine of up to 4 , 000 Egyptian pounds ( around $ 250 ) and even jail time . Flights have been grounded until 15 April.

AFP

Link

BREAKING: Minister commits suicide over coronavirus in Germany

Thomas Schaefer , the finance minister of Germany ’ s Hesse state , has committed suicide apparently after becoming β€œdeeply worried ” over how to cope with the economic fallout from the coronavirus, state premier Volker Bouffier said .

Schaefer , 54 , was found dead near a railway track on Saturday. The Wiesbaden prosecution ’ s office said they believe he died by suicide .

β€œ We are in shock , we are in disbelief and above all we are immensely sad , ” Bouffier said in a recorded statement .

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/just-in-canada-pms-wife-recovers-from-coronavirus/

Hesse is home to Germany ’ s financial capital Frankfurt , where major lenders like Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank have their headquarters . The European Central Bank is also located in Frankfurt.

A visibly shaken Bouffier recalled that Schaefer , who was Hesse ’ s finance chief for 10 years , had been working β€œ day and night ” to help companies and workers deal with the economic impact of the pandemic .

β€œ Today we have to assume that he was deeply worried , ” said Bouffier , a close ally of Chancellor Angela Merkel .

β€œ It’ s precisely during this difficult time that we would have needed someone like him , ” he added .

Popular and well – respected , Schaefer had long been touted as a possible successor to Bouffier .

Like Bouffier , Schaefer belonged to Merkel ’ s centre – right CDU party .
He leaves behind a wife and two children .

AFP

Link

JUST IN: Canada PM’s wife recovers from coronavirus

Sophie Gregoire – Trudeau , the wife of Canada ’ s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau , has recovered from the novel coronavirus , she said .

β€œ I am feeling so much better and have received the all- clear from my physician and Ottawa Public Health , ” she wrote on her Facebook page.

β€œ From the bottom of my heart , I want to say thank you to everyone who reached out to me with their well wishes . ”

She had tested positive for the virus on March 12 after returning from Britain , with her husband subsequently going into self -quarantine as a precautionary measure .

He has since been giving daily press briefings from the porch of his residence .

β€œ I strongly believe that science AND compassion will get us through this crisis , ” Gregoire – Trudeau said .

β€œ That means listening and following the health protocols and staying at home for the time being . ”

Earlier Saturday Trudeau told reporters he intended to remain with his family at his residence even though his 14 – day isolation period had ended .

β€œ We are continuing to follow the advice of health experts . And as everyone should do , we must try to stay at home, to isolate ourselves as much as possible , not to go out if not absolutely necessary , ” he said .

AFP

Link

COVID-19: Fayemi shuts down Ekiti for two weeks

Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has announced a 14 – day total shut down of the state and as well imposed 12 – hour dusk – to – dawn curfew effective from midnight on Monday .

He said this in a statewide broadcast .

The governor said this was to curb the spread of coronavirus in the state .

He said , β€œ It is in urgent public interest that we must ensure strict compliance with all directives given to prevent community spreading of the disease .

β€œ Therefore , in our collective interest and to further ensure the safety of Ekiti – kete , having declared Coronavirus an infectious disease in Ekiti State , I hereby, in pursuant to Section 8 of the Quarantine Act , Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 ( as amended ) impose a curfew of movement in Ekiti State.

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/just-in-uch-chief-medical-doctor-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

β€œ The purpose of this curfew is to impose restrictions on the movement of persons and goods within Ekiti State for an initial period of fourteen days . This is in order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus in Ekiti State . ”

The governor also shut all borders , urging Nigerians to remain in their state of residence .

β€œ All boundaries of Ekiti State are closed during this period , except for transportation of fuel, food and drugs and other essential goods .

β€œ All non – residents who arrive the State prior to , or after , the imposition of this restriction , and who remain in the State , must remain in their place of temporary residence in the State for the duration of the 14 days, as the case may be , and may be subjected to screening for COVID – 19 and be quarantined or isolated if necessary , ” he added.

He expressed disappointment with the lukewarm , nonchalant or downright defiance of some residents in observing compliance with the preventive actions to protect themselves from infection and curtail the spread of the virus in their communities .

Link

JUST IN: UCH CHIEF MEDICAL DOCTOR TESTS POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS

The Chief Medical Director , University College Hospital , Ibadan , Prof . Jesse Otegbayo , has said that he tested positive for coronavirus.

The CMD made this known in a statement .

Reports says, the CMD ’ s positive status was among the four new cases recorded in Oyo State and announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Saturday evening .

The statement , which was personally signed by him , read , β€œ Unfortunately , my result returned positive on Saturday afternoon and I remain in isolation as I am not symptomatic .

β€œ All staff who have been in contact with me and other participants during this period have been advised to immediately proceed on self – isolation pending the time they get tested . ”

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/breaking-osun-announces-total-lockdown-after-second-covid-19-case/

He , however , clarified that though he attended a board meeting three days before testing positive, social distancing was maintained.
Otegbayo suggested that he could have contracted the disease from one of those who attended the meeting .

He added , β€œ On Monday 23 rd March , we commenced a 12 – man quarterly board meeting which was meant to last five days in the hospital , we observed social distancing and other precautionary measures for COVID- 19 as much as possible .

β€œ However , on Wednesday morning , one of us presented with what appeared to be symptoms of COVID- 19 , his samples were immediately taken for test and the meeting called off .

β€œ His results returned positive on Friday morning and every participant ( including me) immediately went into self – isolation while our samples were also taken for the test .

β€œ COVID- 19 is spreading faster than we think and I enjoin everyone to take precautions. If one person has it , then a gathering of two becomes dangerous. Stay at home, avoid unnecessary outing and stay safe . ”

Link

JUST IN: UCH Chief Medical Director tests positive for coronavirus

The Chief Medical Director , University College Hospital , Ibadan , Prof . Jesse Otegbayo , has said that he tested positive for coronavirus.

The CMD made this known in a statement .

Reports says, the CMD ’ s positive status was among the four new cases recorded in Oyo State and announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Saturday evening .

The statement , which was personally signed by him , read , β€œ Unfortunately , my result returned positive on Saturday afternoon and I remain in isolation as I am not symptomatic .

β€œ All staff who have been in contact with me and other participants during this period have been advised to immediately proceed on self – isolation pending the time they get tested . ”

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/breaking-osun-announces-total-lockdown-after-second-covid-19-case/

He , however , clarified that though he attended a board meeting three days before testing positive, social distancing was maintained.

Otegbayo suggested that he could have contracted the disease from one of those who attended the meeting .

He added , β€œ On Monday 23 rd March , we commenced a 12 – man quarterly board meeting which was meant to last five days in the hospital , we observed social distancing and other precautionary measures for COVID- 19 as much as possible .

β€œ However , on Wednesday morning , one of us presented with what appeared to be symptoms of COVID- 19 , his samples were immediately taken for test and the meeting called off .

β€œ His results returned positive on Friday morning and every participant ( including me) immediately went into self – isolation while our samples were also taken for the test .

β€œ COVID- 19 is spreading faster than we think and I enjoin everyone to take precautions. If one person has it , then a gathering of two becomes dangerous. Stay at home, avoid unnecessary outing and stay safe . ”

Link

BREAKING: Osun announces total lockdown after second COVID-19 case

The Osun State Government has announced the total lockdown of the state following the confirmation of the second case of the deadly Coronavirus .

The Government reaffirmed the commitment to shut down all the land boundaries effective from midnight , Sunday , March 29 , 2020 .

The Governor of the State , Mr . Adegboyega Oyetola, made the disclosure during a statewide broadcast .

Oyetola maintained that there would be no movement within the State during the shutdown while those on essential duties such as health personnel, fire service , environmental officials, security personnel, power and water supply agencies , media and telecommunication officers will be on duty .

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/29/covid-19-doctors-nurses-flee-as-suspected-cases-hit-lagos-hospital/

He described the decision as β€œ imperative ” in view of the devastating nature of the pandemic , adding that β€œ the first priority of any responsive and responsible government is to respond effectively to protect its citizens when an emergency occurs ”.

Oyetola, who expressed sadness over the latest incident , reiterated that the decision remained the only way to go if the State was to contain the spread of the disease .

He said , β€œ Following a review of our current situation, we have in addition to the subsisting measures taken in the past one week, decided to shut down all our boundaries, effective from midnight Sunday , March 29 , 2020 . In addition , a complete lockdown of the State will come into effect from midnight , Tuesday , March 31 , 2020

β€œ We believe this is the way to go , if we must contain the spread of this virus . To this end, we urge citizens and residents to take advantage of the hours between now and Tuesday to stock up provisions that will last them two weeks in the first instance .

β€œ During the lockdown , there will be no movement within the state . The closed boundaries also means there will be no inter – state movements. However , those on essential duties such as health personnel, fire service , environmental officials, security personnel, power and water supply agencies , media and telecommunication officers will be on duty . Also , pharmaceutical and medical outfits will be allowed to open .

β€œ We have mandated and mobilised the State ’ s taskforce and security operatives to enforce measures to the letter . We, therefore , strongly advise our people to remain in their homes during the period of the lockdown . ”

The governor urged the residents not to panic by the new measures but continue to adhere to government ’ s instructions and directives .

Link

COVID-19: Doctors, nurses flee as suspected cases hit Lagos hospital

Hospital

There was pandemonium at the Gbagada General Hospital , Lagos , when four white men suspected to have coronavirus were brought to the emergency ward of the hospital for treatment .

According to sources at the hospital , the men said to be Egyptians , were brought in a private vehicle around midnight , with one of them coughing uncontrollably and showing other symptoms of coronavirus.
One of the sources, who spoke with newsmen , said , β€œ It was around midnight that they came to the hospital and I was on duty that day .

β€œ So , when they got to the emergency ward , nurses and doctors on duty came out to attend to them . But upon getting to the vehicle , they noticed that the four occupants were whites with one of them critically ill and coughing uncontrollably .

β€œ Immediately the nurses and doctors saw them, they all took to their heels .

β€œ Some of the nurses began to shout β€˜ this is coronavirus! Coronavirus is not my portion. God forbid ! Here is not IDH ( Infectious Disease Hospital ) , Yaba , please go there. Where is security ? Security , please come and send these people out of this place. ’

β€œ When the screaming became too much , some of the security guards on duty that day summoned courage from afar and ordered them out of the hospital , because they too were afraid and they drove out.

β€œ They were not allowed to come down from their vehicle .

β€œ Everybody ran because some of the doctors said the symptoms that they saw were clearly that of COVID- 19 .

β€œ Their visit truly caused commotion at the hospital . ”

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/28/just-in-nigerias-ministers-donate-50-of-march-salary-to-covid-19-fight/

Another worker in the hospital , who also spoke on condition of anonymity , said after the incident the management decided to bar foreigners from the hospital .

The source said , β€œ All workers at the hospital have been warned not to attend to foreigners. And anybody whose body temperature is above 40 ’ C is not allowed in . ” The source added , β€œ The situation (presence of the four white men ) affected patients on admission as many people withdrew their sick relatives and loved ones after the incident . ”

The Medical Director of the hospital , Dr . Adeleke Kaka , who confirmed the incident , however , said it was only one Egyptian suspected to have coronavirus that was brought to the hospital , not four.

Kaka said , β€œ The guy was suspected to have COVID – 19 by the doctor that saw him in a private hospital and referred him to the Gbagada General Hospital . He was sent to Mainland Hospital for further evaluation and testing . ”

However , he denied claims that health workers in the hospital took to their heels when they saw the four men .

Link

JUST IN: Nigeria’s ministers donate 50% of March salary to COVID-19 fight

Nigeria ’ s 43 ministers have donated 50 per cent of their March 2020 salaries to support the Federal Government’ s efforts to combat the COVID- 19 pandemic in the country.

This was contained in a statement issued in Abuja by the Minister of Information and Culture , Alhaji Lai Mohammed .

The statement said the Minister of State for Transportation , Senator Gbemisola Saraki, coordinated the donation .

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/28/just-in-i-tested-negative-for-coronavirus-says-garba-shehu/

Saraki was quoted as saying that the donation was a gesture of solidarity and support for the Federal Government’ s efforts to tackle the disease .

Saraki said , β€œ This global virus outbreak will require nations , continents and smaller communities to pull together to contribute their resources and support one another.

β€œ This will facilitate an early resolution of the problem . ”

So far , Nigeria has recorded 89 confirmed cases of coronavirus.

Link

JUST IN: I tested negative for Coronavirus, says Garba Shehu

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity , Mr Garba Shehu , has just announced his coronavirus test result. It is negative .

More newsπŸ‘‰ https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/03/28/just-in-coronavirus-suspend-vat-immediately-tinubu-tells-fg/

β€œ My test proved negative for the virus . Alhamdu Lilah! Notwithstanding, I advise everyone that we continue the isolation and work from home ”, he tweeted.

Shehu went into self – isolation on Monday after the Chief of Staff to the President , Mr Abba Kyari’ s test was confirmed positive.

The spokesman and Kyari share the same office floor at the State House. Besides , he frequents Kyari ’ s office to clarify issues on a daily basis.