The Lagos State Police Command has taken Nollywood actress , Funke Akindele, and her husband , Abdulrasheed Bello popularly called JJC Skillz , to court for flouting the lockdown order in Lagos State .
The Police Public Relations Officer , Bala Elkana , confirmed to newsmen
that the actress , popularly called ‘ Jenifa’ , had been taken to a Chief Magistrates ’ Court in Ogba , Lagos .
The police spokesman told newsmen , “ The husband arrived at the SCID around 2 am and they will be arraigned together . ”
They will be arraigned for breaching the Lagos Infection Diseases Regulations 2020 (the Regulations ) which prescribes a jail term of one month or N100 , 000 fine or both for persons found guilty of hosting gatherings or flouting the lockdown order.
It reads in part, “ Where there is a violation of a close down or stay at home order, security Agencies shall have the power to arrest without warrant and may detain any person who violates the close down or stay at home order for at least 48 hours.
“ Where the arrested person is found guilty , the person is liable to a fine of N100 , 000 . 00 or one – month imprisonment or three months Community service . ”
However , JJC Skillz and Naira Marley were absent during the time of arrest , causing the police to invite them.
The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics has said it is suspending its planned nationwide strike because of the coronavirus pandemic in the country.
The ASUP President , Mr Anderson Ezeibe , in a statement in Abuja , recalled that the industrial action was decided after the 97 th National Executive Council meeting of the union , adding, however , that the strike would not begin due to the “ unacceptable rate of the spread of the dreaded COVID – 19 pandemic across the nation and the union ’ s overriding need to arrest the growing spread of this scourge . ”
ASUP noted that the nationwide industrial action was necessitated by the shortcomings in the February 2020 salaries of its members based on the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System as well as the inability of the Federal Government to keep to agreements reached with the union since 2010 .
Ezeibe , said , “ As a consequence of the inability of the government to keep to agreements entered into with our union since 2010 as well as the avoidable shortcomings associated with the payment of February 2020 salaries in federal polytechnics in the country, our union ’ s 97 th National Executive Council meeting had resolved to embark on an industrial action after the expiration of a 15 – day ultimatum issued with effect from March 18 , 2020 . The ultimatum expired on April 3 , 2020 .
“However , our union is concerned about the prevailing but unacceptable rate of the spread of the dreaded COVID- 19 pandemic across the nation. Moved by the need to collectively arrest the growing spread of this scourge in our nation, the union has resolved to put on hold its proposed industrial action in the overriding national interest to resume .
“ We encourage our members nationwide to play complementary roles to the extent of the deployment of their professional competencies as well as participating in safe community action efforts in the fight against the COVID – 19 pandemic . ”
The face-off between the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the federal government may likely be resolved as soon as the country-wide lockdown caused by the outbreak of COVID-19 ends, investigation has revealed.
An indication to this emerged at the weekend as both sides appeared to share similar views on the need for concessions following the impacts of COVID-19, which cut across every sector of the country’s economy.
The reconciliatory tone came just as ASUU said that its members in the Chemistry and Pharmacy departments at the various universities in the country have teamed up to support the campaign against the virus by initiating the production and distribution of hand sanitizers and other protective materials.
ASUU, whose members embarked on an indefinite strike action few days before the federal government closed educational institutions as part of measures to contain the virus, said at the weekend that it did not rule out the possibility of concessions.
In the same vein, newsmen gathered from a top official of the Federal Ministry of Finance that the federal government will most likely release the withheld salaries of ASUU members as a form of olive branch to quicken the resolution of the crisis in the education sector.
President of the union, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, who spoke to newsmen in a telephone interview at the weekend said the union understood the precarious position the country had found itself and that it would be open to dialogue to resolve the issues.
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has said it has not yet fixed the cut – off marks for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examination . It described the cut – off marks being circulated on the Internet as fake .
The board stated this in its weekly bulletin obtained by news correspondent .
It stated that the 2020 UTME cut – off marks would be decided at a stakeholders’ policy meeting that would be chaired by the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu .
JAMB said , “Kindly disregard any cut -off marks paraded by fraudsters . It is fake news. ”
The board’ s Head of Media and Information , Dr Fabian Benjamin , added , “ The board has fixed the policy meeting for June 15 and 16 , 2020 . Cut – off marks are decided at a policy meeting chaired by the Minister of Education with all the heads of tertiary institutions, chief executive officers of regulatory agencies in education and all other critical stakeholders in attendance .
“ This meeting has been fixed for June 15 and 16 , all things being equal . Until this meeting is held , nobody can talk about cut – off marks. Nigerians are advised to disregard any such marks being paraded. ”
Meanwhile , JAMB has delisted nine Computer – Based Test centres used in the conduct of the 2020 UTME for engaging in various infractions.
While one was delisted for conniving with candidates to engage in malpractices during the conduct of the UTME , others were delisted for technical deficiency .
The Osun State Governor , Adegboyega Oyetola, has urged the Federal Government to assist the state to contain the spread of coronavirus , saying some of the samples that were already tested indicated high level of viral loads .
Oyetola said the samples suggested a strong capability to infect massively if necessary measures were not taken .
He said , “ Considering our peculiar circumstance , there is the urgent need for the Federal Government to assist us in our efforts to contain the spread of the virus .
“ Our call is predicated on the fact that some of the samples that were tested indicated high level of viral loads, suggesting a strong capability to infect massively if necessary measures are not taken . ”
The governor noted that the current number of index cases that Osun had recorded was as a result of government ’ s responsiveness and proactive interception of what would have resulted in national distress .
On the restriction order, Oyetola said the initial 14 days lockdown might be extended unless there were indications that the situation was safe enough for people return to work.
He advocated one – month total lockdown of the country by the Federal Government to properly contain the spread of COVID- 19 , pointing out that the total lockdown of China for over one month assisted the country to stop the spread of the disease .
On the escape of some of the 127 Ivory Coast returnees that tested positive to coronavirus, Oyetola said those that left the isolation centre were forced back to the facility because their relations did not allow them into the houses .
Actress Funke Akindele says she will practice what she preaches , according to reports .
The actress said Naira Marley had been at her residence before the lockdown was announced .
She also pledged to support the Nigerian government in creating more awareness in eradicating the coronavirus pandemic .
Akindele, also known as Jenifa, stated this in a video released on her Social Media platforms a few hours before her arrest .
She was taken from her residence in Amen Estate off the Lekki – Epe Expressway to the State Criminal Investigation Department , Panti , Yaba .
In the video , Akindele apologised to her fans for not leading by example amid the COVID- 19 stay – at – home order of the government .
She said , “ I have seen all the messages on Social Media . I will not intentionally mislead people.
“ It was my husband ’ s birthday (on Saturday) . Both of us run a studio which is located in Amen Estate where we live .
“ When the pandemic started , we stopped all productions including our new projects .
“ But before the lockdown was announced by our President , some youths have been in the boot camp here in Amen Estate – majority of the youths were those you saw in the video .
“ Naira Marley came in here before the lockdown . And when the lockdown was announced , he said he would love to stay back , saying he loves this environment .
“ I said okay fine . Then my husband ’ s birthday came up . And we all came together as a family .
“ Everybody in that video had been in Amen Estate some months before , weeks before and days before the lockdown . Nobody came from their houses to party with us .
“ I am sorry if I have misled you . I appreciate your concerns and I promise to always practice what I preach .
“ I promise to always support the government in creating more awareness to eradicate this pandemic . ”
>Funke Akindele not our brand ambassador – NCDC
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control , said actress Funke Akindele also known as Jenifa , was not its brand ambassador.
This is coming shortly after the Lagos State Police Command arrested the actress for hosting a house party that contravened the lockdown order of the government .
The actress had appeared in adverts for the NCDC and Dettol , calling on Nigerians to observe social distancing and hygiene as part of measures to curb the spread of coronavirus in the country.
She was arrested at her residence in Amen Estate off the Lekki – Epe Expressway and had been taken to the State Criminal Investigation Department , Panti , Yaba .
The Police said a manhunt has begun for Akindele’ s husband , Abdulrasheed Bello aka JJC Skillz ; and singer Azeez Fashola aka Naira Marley, said to have been at the party .
Reacting via its Twitter handle , the centre said , “As an agency of the Federal Government of Nigeria , NCDC has not engaged brand ambassadors as part of our response to COVID- 19 . We continue to emphasise that all Nigerians maintain social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID- 19 . ”
Similarly, Dettol Nigeria , said , “ We have been made aware through social media that Funke Akindele recently , acting in her personal capacity , had a celebration which is against the caution to the public on social distancing during the COVID- 19 pandemic .
“ The NCDC partnered with Dettol on a public service message to educate our communities about preventive measures against COVID- 19 . Funke is not a brand ambassador of the NCDC.
“ As a responsible organization and brand , Dettol does not condone any breach of the guidelines on COVID- 19 .
“ As an organisation , we are concerned at the turn of events.
“ We will continue to support NCDC and the Nigerian government to fight COVID- 19 . ”
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested Funke Akindele for hosting a party in contravention of the lockdown order in Lagos State .
The Lagos State Public Relations Officer , Bala Elkana , told newsmen
that the actress had been taken to the State Criminal Investigation Department , Panti , Yaba .
He told newsmen, “ Yes , we have ( arrested ) Funke Akindele and we are looking for the others. She has been taken to SCID . ”
Akindele, popularly known as Jenifa , who is married to singer , Abdulrasheed Bello aka JJC Skillz , held a party in his honour on Saturday .
Singer , Azeez Fashola aka Naira Marley , also graced the party , which had over 20 others in attendance .
Thousands of Nigerians on social media called for the arrest Akindele, popularly called ‘ Jenifa ’ .
The actress , who is said to be an ambassador for the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control and Dettol , has appeared in adverts calling on Nigerians to observe social distancing and hygiene .
She later apologised over the incident , saying most of those who attended the party were colleagues, who were living temporarily within the estate and could not return to their home states because of the lockdown caused by the COVID- 19 pandemic .
The Lagos Infection Diseases Regulations 2020 (the Regulations ) prescribes a jail term of one month or N100 , 000 fine or both for persons found guilty of hosting gatherings or flouting the lockdown order .
It reads in part, “ Where there is a violation of a close – down or stay at home order, security Agencies shall have power to arrest without warrant and may detain any person who violates the closedown or stay at home order for at least forty – eight ( 48 ) hours.
“ Where the arrested person is found guilty , the person is liable to a fine of one Hundred Thousand Nara fine ( N100 , 000 . 00 ) or one (1 ) month imprisonment or three (3 ) months Community service . ”
A crying nurse is pleading with Britons to stay home and support the NHS as the pressure of the coronavirus pandemic leaves staff on their knees.
Shirley Watts, an operating theatre nurse at Basildon University Hospital, Essex, fought back tears as she tells the country how stretched staff are, as they try and stem the tide of coronavirus patients.
Teary Watts said: “We’re desperately short of staff. Things are really difficult and we’re all struggling.
“If you stay in and you don’t spread it and you don’t catch it, that takes the pressure off of us because we’re all on our knees at the moment.”
She continues: “We’re trying to save lives. We’re all just doing what we can to save people’s loved ones and I want you to see me like this because I want people to realise how serious it is.
“If you know anyone that’s going out and they don’t need to if you see groups of people, I want you to say something to them. I want you say ‘you need to stay indoors and you need to stop spreading it, you need to stop catching it’.”
Since Britain went into lockdown the public has taken part in two nationwide claps to show its appreciation for the NHS.
But this weekend’s warm weather has seen the public ignoring social distancing rules.
A tearful Shirley adds: “I know people are appreciating what we’re doing, that we’re staying away from our families and putting ourselves in danger to try and save other people’s loved ones.
“It feels like a losing battle, but it’s not because we’ve all got hope and we’re all trying to do what we can.”
Shirley was speaking after finishing a six hour shift. She told viewers she was going home to sleep before returning for another shift tonight.
Nollywood actor , Funke Akindele, has come under intense criticism for hosting a celebrity – studded party at home despite the government – ordered lockdown caused by the COVID- 19 pandemic .
Thousands of Nigerians on social media called for the arrest of Akindele, popularly called ‘ Jenifa ’ .
The actress , who is considered as an ambassador for the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control and Dettol , has appeared in adverts calling on Nigerians to observe social distancing and hygiene .
However , in a video posted on social media by her husband , Abdulrasheed Bello aka JJC Skillz , many celebrities including singer Naira Marley , are seen having a house party in contravention of the government order.
In the video , which is almost two minutes long , JJC Skillz says it was his birthday and he had to invite friends to celebrate with him at their home located at Amen Estate , Lekki – Epe Expressway .
He said , “ Na here we dey , those of us wey get mind ( sic). This is the best estate to be stuck in during the lockdown . It is my birthday . ”
The guests , which are over 20 , including Naira Marley , are also seen singing ‘ Ma fo ’ , a song released by the musician last year .
The video , however , caused an uproar online with many Nigerians calling on both the Federal Government and the Lagos State Government to take immediate action .
@ Dolusegun tweeted, “ Funke Akindele and her husband should be arrested this morning . ”
@ Klazematics said , “ The government won ’ t succeed with this lockdown if people like Funke Akindele are not punished for their reckless behaviour . A scapegoat needs to be made of them. ”
@ Bshizzle70 wrote on Instagram, “ Everybody at that party should be arrested . This is a criminal offence . Choose who your role model is wisely. ”
@ deeoneayekooto tweeted , @ Funke Akindele, a Dettol ambassador , is leading a campaign against coronavirus and you ’ re on the advert . You ’ re a Lagos State Government ambassador . You held a party in the midst of coronavirus lockdown . Shame on you , you are not a worthy ambassador . ”
The Lagos Infection Diseases Regulations 2020 (the Regulations ) prescribes a jail term of one month or N100 , 000 fine or both for persons found guilty of hosting gatherings or flouting the lockdown order .
It reads in part, “ Where there is a violation of a close down or stay at home order, security agencies shall have power to arrest without warrant and may detain any person who violates the close down or stay at home order for at least forty – eight ( 48 ) hours.
“ Where the arrested person is found guilty , the person is liable to a fine of one Hundred Thousand Nara fine ( N100 , 000 . 00 ) or one (1 ) month imprisonment or three (3 ) months Community service . ”
A man in central Russia shot and killed five people for talking noisily at night under his windows, investigators said .
The shootings took place in the Ryazan region during stay – at – home orders aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus .
A 32 – year – old man from the small town of Yelatma opened fire on a group of four young men and a woman who “ was talking loudly in the street under his windows” at around 10 pm on Saturday, investigators said .
Yelatma is located near the city of Ryazan , which is situated some 200 kilometres ( 120 miles) southeast of the capital Moscow.
The man went to his balcony to complain to the group and a dispute erupted before he reached for his single – barrel hunting rifle , the Investigative Committee said .
“ They all died of their injuries on the spot, ” it said in a statement .
The suspect whose name was not released has been arrested . His apartment has been searched and the weapon seized .
Deputy Ryazan region governor Igor Grekov travelled to the scene of the shootings .