Governor Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State said he would not hesitate to re-introduce lockdown, following non-compliance by residents to safety guidelines and directives in the wake of gradual easing of lockdown in the state.
Sanwo-Olu gave the warning while giving an update on COVID-19 situation in the state, during a live broadcast .
The governor, who commended some sectors for their encouraging level of compliance, frowned at flagrant disregard for safety directives by commercial bus and motorcycle operators, with a strict warning for them to change or face severe sanctions.
According to Sanwo-Olu, “on Monday May 4, 2020, we commenced a gradual and controlled easing of the 5 weeks lockdown occasioned by the Coronavirus pandemic. Six days into this new phase, I am here to address you on our assessment of the experience so far.
“In terms of the non-compliance, the list is regrettably much longer. On the first day of this new phase of an eased lockdown, the compliance level for commercial transport sector operations was regrettably very low.
“Yellow commercial buses especially failed to comply with the capacity restrictions outlined in our framework. While compliance has improved in subsequent days, it is still not encouraging.
“Many commercial motorcycle operators openly and indiscriminately defied the suspension.
“The ban on inter-state travel except for essential goods and services was also consistently flouted. In many cases people decided to make the final leg of the journey into the State on foot, to beat the restrictions.
“Trucks and other vehicles carrying items designated as essential, have also played major roles in flouting the guidelines, by conspiring to conceal and smuggle people in and out of the state.”
Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has announced the extension of the total lockdown imposed on the state as part of measures to flatten the coronavirus pandemic in the state.
Abiodun, who made the announcement, while briefing newsmen at his Oke Mosan office on the activities of the state government to curb the further spread of COVID-19 pandemic, said he decided to extend the lockdown because of the belief that human lives are more sacred than economic well-being.
He said the windows of relaxation will continue to be available on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 7.00 am to 5.00 pm on each day of the window of relaxation.
He added that the daily curfew and ban on non-essential of inter-State travel as directed by Mr. President still stand.
He said, “the entire people of Ogun State, have not elected me to make easy decisions. And tough decisions, we have to make. Now, to preserve the lives of our people, we are persuaded to extend the currently modified lockdown, which has been slightly eased, for another one week alongside the current guidelines. This will be reviewed, as usual, on a weekly basis”.
“Let me state that we appreciate that the cost of not easing the lockdown. It all boils down to the debate of welfare over wellbeing, between life and livelihood. While it will be great to have a thriving economy, we also realize that humans are the main beneficiaries of thriving economies. The question is, how much is a human life worth to us? This is not a popularity contest”.
“The fact is that the economy can only run if there are humans to run it. And, when human lives are involved, we have chosen human lives over and above other considerations”.
“We should always remember that we are the closest in proximity to Lagos, the epi-center of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. It is not a matter to be taken lightly. As the number of positive cases in Lagos increases, we, in Ogun State, must be concerned about possible spillover, particularly as our people continue to travel across state lines, despite warnings and the ban on interstate travels”.
“Wearing a face mask is mandatory. It is important to note that we have provided, and continue to provide, facemasks to public servants, groups, and associations. However, the government alone cannot provide facemasks to all. Individuals that have a need to go out have a personal responsibility to procure and use facemasks in public, as the enforcement will continue to be strengthened with the full weight of law meted out to violators”.
“We appreciate the need to balance public health and safety against economic activities. Nonetheless, whilst we intensify sensitization and morale situation, our security agencies in Ogun State have been duly briefed and empowered to do the needful to assist the heroic efforts of health and other frontline workers to flatten the curve”.
“We have expanded the COVID-19 Enforcement Task Force to the three Senatorial Districts and 20 local government areas to strengthen enforcement across the state. In this regard, security agencies, particularly the Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) are now members of the Task Force in their respective divisions”.
“Furthermore, towards ensuring strict adherence to these measures, our mobile courts have been galvanized to try any erring person irrespective of the class or creed”.
“I must also state that more stringent measures will be taken if we observe that our people continue to show disregard for the precautionary measures that our medical experts have stated for the prevention and non-transmission of COVID-19. We cannot continue to put the lives of others at risk and our lives in collective jeopardy because some people simply throw caution to the winds”.
” We have also noted the unpatriotic acts of some individuals who try to breach the ban on inter-State travel by smuggling people across the inter-State borders in trucks conveying essential items. Let me state unequivocally that we will not tolerate any further breach on the ban of inter-State travel. Anybody found culpable will be treated for committing a crime against Ogun State and visited with the full weight of the law”.
“As part of our community sensitization for the full and strict implementation of this ban, we have continued to engage the various non-Ogun State tribal community leaders through the office of the Special Assistants on non-indigenes Relations”.
“We have also charged our Paramount rulers and our various Baales, especially at the border communities to report any suspected movement of people across our dear State borders. It is pertinent to note that the governors have also resolved that violators of ban on interstate travel should be promptly apprehended and sent back in the same vehicles that brought them to their state of origin. To be forewarned is to be forearmed”.
“As your Government, we will continue to ensure that we do all that is humanly possible to protect the lives and property of all the people of Ogun State. In the case of COVID-19, especially, we have continued to put in place adequate facilities towards ensuring we win the war against this enemy of humanity”.
“In the last one week, we have added another Treatment and Isolation Center with 65-bed spaces in Abeokuta here. This facility is separate from and in addition to the 70-bed Treatment Centre at the newly renovated Infectious Diseases Hospital in Iberekodo Abeokuta, thus bringing the combined total bed spaces for treatment of COVID-19 patients in Ogun State to over 300”.
With shops and factories closed nationwide due to the coronavirus pandemic , nearly all of the jobs created in the US economy in the last decade were wiped out in a single month .
An unprecedented 20 . 5 million jobs were destroyed in April in the world ’ s largest economy , driving the unemployment rate to 14 . 7 per cent compared to 4 . 4 per cent in March , the Labor Department said in its monthly report , the first to capture the impact of a full month of the lockdowns .
The United States is home to the world ’ s largest and deadliest coronavirus outbreak , with more than 75 , 000 fatalities and 1 . 2 million cases reported as of Thursday , according to Johns Hopkins University .
The economic damage has been swift and stunning.
In the two years of the global financial crisis , the world’ s largest economy lost 8 . 6 million jobs and the unemployment rate peaked at 10 per cent in October 2009 . During the recovery, from February 2010 to February 2020 , 23 million positions were created .
The plunge in nonfarm payroll employment last month was the largest ever recorded dating back to 1939 , while the jobless rate saw its highest and biggest increase dating back to 1948 , the report said .
And job losses in March were worse than initially reported , falling 870 , 000 even though the business closures happened mostly in the second half of the month .
Employment fell sharply in all major industry sectors . Leisure and hospitality was the first sector hit and the one bearing the brunt of the impact of the lockdowns , and posted a loss of 7 . 7 million jobs.
However , the Labor Department noted that some workers were misclassified in the report as employed when they should have been counted as laid off. Had they been listed properly , the unemployment rate would have been nearly five percentage points higher.
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Lagos State may increase to 120 , 000 between July and August , the state ’ s health commissioner, Prof Akin Abayomi , has said .
While speaking at a press conference , Abayomi said the virus was expected to reach its peak in Lagos at that time.
He also said that there are arrangements to begin a hydro -chloroquine trial in the state .
He said , “ Just a month ago , on April 7 we saw 10 cases per day , two weeks later it was 32 , then 70 cases. We are now seeing above 100 cases per day . This shows our graph is moving in a gentle incline upwards .
“ We definitely have not reached the peak of our outbreak , we suspect that the peak will happen sometime in July or August and so we are preparing for the oncoming of about 90 , 000 to 120 , 000 cases during that period . We are increasing our capacity and strategies to deal with this situation. ”
The commissioner urged residents not to panic over the increasing cases witnessed in the state , saying it was caused by the presence of sample collection centres in 20 Local Governments .
He stated that Alimosho , Oshodi and Isolo local governments have started having more COVID- 19 cases, adding that a majority of the dead patients in the state were males .
Secretary to the Government of the Federation , Boss Mustapha , says reports gotten from states show that treatment centres were running out of bed spaces.
He said this during the national briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 .
While giving his address , Mustapha said the PTF had intensified the monitoring of the level of compliance with the advisories and guidelines already issued.
He said PTF has asked the security agencies to ensure strict enforcement.
Mustapha said , “The outcome of our surveillance still points to the fact that violations are still rampant and as I have always pointed out , portends a very dangerous trend .
“ Nigeria is presently at the community transmission phase and yesterday – Thursday 7 th May , 2020 , we witnessed the highest single – day number of 381 confirmed cases . This could be considered worrisome but for the fact that this rise is associated with our increased testing capacity , which has provided an opportunity to detect hitherto hidden cases .
“ However , this increased testing does not translate to higher fatality rates as in the last few days , we have witnessed a good number of discharges and a continually reducing daily fatality rate.
“ We have also received reports from the states , which suggests that the treatment centres are running out of bed spaces. As we assess the situation, the PTF shall also begin to examine our peculiar circumstances , modify the strategies for care management , and consider viable alternatives , where necessary . At the appropriate time , the guidelines and protocols shall be unfolded . ”
The Poultry Association of Nigeria has warned that the country may face starvation in 2021 due to the lockdown across the nation caused by the COVID- 19 pandemic .
The President of the association, Mr Ezekiel Ibrahim Mam, made this known in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .
He said , “ This year 2020 , we are at least better off because we have enough food on ground but in 2021 we are going to face clear starvation, not just hunger because of lockdown and restriction of movement of people since farmers cannot move to their farms .
“ Already, the rainy season has set in so , if the maize producers, soybeans farmers could not go to their farms that is a threat to the poultry industry .
“ This is because 70 per cent of the raw materials for the poultry industry , especially poultry production is soya and maize . We have two issues , which are the lockdown , security , and activities of bandits . ”
The president of PAN, however , urged the Federal Government to wake up to its responsibility to secure farmers by mobilising them to go to their farms and produce food for the country.
Ibrahim noted that lifting the restriction on the movement of farmers and mobilising them would forestall the foreseen starvation of the country in 2021 .
“ We need to wake up , the government needs to wake up to its duties because we are generally experiencing terrible and tough times , ” he added .
The Chief Whip of the Senate , Orji Uzor Kalu , has said his five months in jail afforded him the opportunity of learning “ invaluable lessons ” about Nigeria and the citizenry.
Kalu , who is representing Abia North Senatorial District at the red chamber , stated this while reacting to a Supreme Court judgment delivered in his favour .
The apex court , in a unanimous decision by a seven – member panel led by Justice Amina Augie, held that the Federal High Court in Lagos acted without jurisdiction when it convicted Kalu , his firm, Slok Nigeria Limited and a former Director of Finance in Abia State , Jones Udeogu, in December last year .
It further held that trial Justice Mohammed Liman was no longer a judge of the Federal High Court as of the time he sat and delivered the judgment that convicted the defendants for allegedly stealing about N7 . 1 bn from the Abia State treasury when he was governor.
Kalu said , “ The past five months have been quite a profound period for me . As challenging as that period has been , it has provided me an opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about our country, our peoples , our justice system , and the true meaning of love . I mean love for family , love for our country, and love for humanity . ”
He , however , expressed delight that the Supreme court judgment affirmed his right to a fair hearing and equal protection of the law .
He said , “ I would like to let it be known that the events of the past five months gave me an added perspective on matters of justice and injustice in Nigeria .
“ I have come to know that the course of justice will not be complete if it stopped at my case .
“ It must continue until it touches the lives of millions of Nigerians who face injustice anywhere in this world.
“ I shall be dedicating my time henceforth to ensuring there will be justice for all Nigerians whether they are in Sokoto or Akwa Ibom or in Lagos or Maiduguri or in Jos or Enugu , or wherever they may be .
“ Justice for one man or for a few people will no longer be enough in this country.
The Federal Government has evacuated some Nigerians who were stranded in the United Kingdom as a result of the coronavirus .
Reports gathered says that some of the Nigerians arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport , Lagos .
Chairman , Nigerians in Diaspora Commission , Abike Dabiri – Erewa, confirmed their arrival .
She said , “The first evacuation from the Uk has landed in Lagos . The passengers will be proceeding to Abuja where they will be on 14 – day compulsory isolation . ”
The Supreme Court has nullified the trial of a former governor of Abia State , Orji Kalu , and others, who were in December convicted and sentenced for a N 7 . 1 bn fraud.
Justice Mohammed Idris, who had been elevated to the Court of Appeal bench , had returned to the Federal High Court in Lagos to complete the case which started in 2007 .
The judge had sentenced the ex -governor to 12 years imprisonment for the fraud he allegedly perpetrated during his tenure as Abia State governor.
But in a unanimous judgment of the Supreme Court led by Justice Olabode Rhodes – Vivour , the apex court nullified the entire trial , on the grounds that the constitution does not permit a judge elevated to a higher court to return to a lower court to conclude a part – heard case .
Justice Ejembi Eko , who delivered the lead judgment also declared as unconstitutional the provision of section 396 ( 7 ) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act , 2015 , on which the then President of the Court of Appeal , Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa ( retd ) , relied on to authorise Justice Idris to return to the Court of Appeal to conclude the trial .
The panel unanimously directed the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court to assign the case to another judge of the court for the trial to commence afresh .
Kalu , who was in December 2019 judgment , sentenced to 12 years ’ imprisonment , was convicted alongside his firm , Slok Nigeria Limited , and Jones Udeogu, who served under him as the Director of Finance and Account at the Abia State Government House in Umuahia .
Up to 190 , 000 people in Africa could die of coronavirus in the first year of the pandemic if containment measures fail , the World Health Organisation warned .
The UN health agency cited a new study by its regional office in Brazzaville which found that between 83 , 000 and 190 , 000 could die and 29 to 44 million be infected during the period .
The research is based on prediction modelling and covers 47 countries with a total population of one billion , the WHO said in a statement .
Experts have consistently warned that Africa is particularly vulnerable to an outbreak , due to weak health infrastructure, high rates of poverty, numerous roiling conflicts and a proven susceptibility to previous epidemics.
But the virus has been slow to spread across the continent , which has yet not recorded the soaring number of infections or deaths seen in Europe , the United States and elsewhere .
“ The model predicts the observed slower rate of transmission , lower age of people with severe disease and lower mortality rates compared to what is seen in the most affected countries in the rest of the world , ” the statement said .
“ The lower rate of transmission , however , suggests a more prolonged outbreak over a few years . ”
WHO Africa Director Matshidiso Moeti said that “while COVID – 19 likely won’ t spread as exponentially in Africa as it has elsewhere in the world , it likely will smoulder in transmission hotspots ” .
“ COVID- 19 could become a fixture in our lives for the next several years unless a proactive approach is taken by many governments in the region , ” he added . “ We need to test , trace, isolate and treat . ”
Smaller countries as well as Algeria , South Africa and Cameroon were at particularly high risk unless effective containment measures were in force , the WHO said .
Africa has so far recorded 53 , 334 cases and 2 , 065 fatalities – out of a global death toll of nearly 267 , 000 -according to an AFP tally .
Several countries have put confinement measures or lockdowns in place, but others have not and some are considering lifting restrictions.
Nigeria lifted the lockdown in Africa ’ s most populous city Lagos earlier this week, while South Africa started to ease its measures last week.