Link

JUST IN: FG to evacuate 200 Nigerians from Canada Thursday

The Nigeria High Commission in Canada says it is set to evacuate Nigerians stranded in that country due to coronavirus travel restrictions.

In a statement , the mission said it had received no fewer than 200 requests for evacuation .

To this end, it stated that a Boeing 777 aircraft operated by Air Peace had been specially arranged to fly the intending returnees home this Thursday .

The high commission noted that it could be the only special evacuation flight for Nigerian nationals stranded in Canada due to the coronavirus pandemic .

It said the plane would pick the prospective passengers from two locations in Canada , namely Toronto and Alberta .

According to the flight schedule, the aircraft is expected to pick the first set from the Pearson International Airport , Toronto.

From there it will fly to the Calgary International Airport , Alberta , a distance of 2 , 915 k . m. , to load the second set of passengers .

The aircraft will depart Alberta for the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport , Abuja, where the evacuees would be moved into isolation for 14 days .

The one – way flight will cost each prospective evacuee between 1 , 130 dollars (N452 , 000 ) and 2 , 000 dollars ( N800 , 000 ) depending on the class .

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the special evacuation exercise began on Wednesday with the return of 265 Nigerians from the United Arab Emirates.

On Friday, 253 were brought back from the United Kingdom , followed by 160 from the United States on Sunday .

This brings to 678 the total number of Nigerians evacuated by the Federal Government so far .

NAN

Link

FEC to hold virtually on Wednesday

THE Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting to be presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to hold on Wednesday.

The FEC will be held virtually as the physical distancing order is still in place.

The last FEC meeting was held on March 18, 2020, at the Council Chamber, Presidential Villa, Abuja, before the lockdown to contain the spread of the dreaded Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Chief Femi Adesina confirmed the holding of FEC on Wednesday meeting .

A Presidency source had told newsmen that a circular had been distributed from the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, for the meeting to be held virtually.

According to the source, “We have FEC on Wednesday, there is circular to that effect, we have been given council papers.

” It’s going to hold virtually. The information is from the SGF office and the FEC will start by 11 am. We are waiting for the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy to give us the link.

” The Federal Government system is Galaxy Backbond, FG will discuss with Galaxy Backbond and give us the link. This is the first time FEC is holding virtually.”

Already the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Pantami on Monday supervised a test run for the virtual FEC meeting.

The Ministry on its Twitter handle wrote, “In preparation for the upcoming Federal Executive Council (FEC) Meeting to be held virtually on Wednesday, which will be chaired by His Excellency, President @MBuhari GCFR, the Honourable Minister of Communications and #DigitalEconomy, @DrIsaPantami today supervised a test run.”

VANGUARD

Link

JUST IN: We’re learning China’s treatment strategy – FG

The Federal Government says medical experts in Beijing are training coronavirus case managers in Nigeria on the treatment strategy of China .

The Minister of Health , Dr Osagie Ehanire , stated this during a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 in Abuja .

He said the Chinese medical experts trained their counterparts in Nigeria via teleconferencing on Monday .

He said , “ Senior managers of the Federal Ministry of Health and case managers in our hospitals this morning ( Monday morning ) participated in a multinational teleconference with Chinese medical and academic experts in Beijing where much insights were gained into the treatment strategy of China and also other matters of common interests were discussed .

“ The learnings from this intervention are available in re – examining our methods . ”

The minister noted that the efforts of the Federal Government and the PTF were yielding some results while urging all hands to be on the deck to stamp out the pandemic .

“ It is important that our response to COVID- 19 be a concerted collaborative drive to stand a chance of being effective … So far , our efforts are yielding results as shown in states where panic and fright were initially rife but are now subsumed, ” Ehanire said .

Link

JUST IN: Buhari orders importation of Madagascar COVID-19 ‘remedy’ to Nigeria

The President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd . ) , has ordered the importation of the acclaimed coronavirus remedy by Madagascar to Nigeria .

Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 , Boss Mustapha , made this known during a briefing in Abuja .

Mustapha , who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation , said , “ Madagascar has made allocations to various countries , and sent them to Guinea Bissau . We ‘ re supposed to make arrangements to freight Nigeria ’ s allocation from Guinea Bissau ; it‘ ll be subjected to the standard validation process for pharmaceuticals.

“ Mr President has given instructions for the airlifting of Nigeria ’ s allocation of the Madagascar COVID- 19 Syrup ; also given clear instructions that it must be subjected to the standard validation process for pharmaceuticals; there will be no exceptions for this . ”

He assured Nigerians that the task force was intensifying efforts to stop the spread of the virus in Nigeria .

“ Nigeria has only one national response to the COVID- 19 pandemic . Where there are differing strategies is in the implementation of non -pharmaceutical interventions . But as far as the response is concerned , there is only one national response , ” he added.

According to reports, Equatorial Guinea , Guinea – Bissau , Niger, and Tanzania have taken delivery of consignments of the potion , which was launched last month .

Madagascar said the drink is derived from artemisia – a plant with proven anti – malarial properties – and other indigenous herbs .

Punch

Link

JUST IN: Saudi triples VAT, suspends monthly payment to citizens

Saudi Arabia’ s finance minister said the kingdom will triple its Value Added Tax and halt monthly handout payments to citizens in new austerity measures amid record low oil prices and a coronavirus- led economic slump .

The measures, which could stir public resentment with the cost of living rising , come as the petro- state steps up emergency plans to slash government spending to deal with the twin economic blow .

“ It has been decided the cost of living allowance will be halted from June 2020 and VAT will be raised from 5 percent to 15 percent from July 1 , ” Finance Minister Mohammed al -Jadaan said in a statement released by the official Saudi Press Agency .

Jadaan insisted the measures were necessary to shore up state finances amid a “ sharp decline ” in oil revenue as the coronavirus pandemic saps global demand for crude .

The government was also “ cancelling , extending or postponing ” expenditures for some government agencies and cutting spending on major state projects introduced as part of an ambitious reform programme to diversify the oil- reliant economy , the minister added .

Jadaan last week warned of “ painful ” and “ drastic” steps to deal with the double shock of the novel coronavirus and record low oil prices .

Saudi Arabia , the top crude exporter and the Arab world ’ s biggest economy , has shut down cinemas and restaurants , halted flights , and suspended the year – round umrah pilgrimage in a bid to contain the deadly virus .
Saudi Arabia , along with other Gulf states , imposed a five percent tax on goods and services in 2018 in a bid to generate additional revenue .

The petro- state had also introduced handouts worth billions of dollars to citizens , known as the cost of living allowance , to cushion the impact of rising costs .

AFP

Link

Covid-19: All schools remain closed, says FG

THE Federal Government has warned against resumption of any school at any level, saying all schools remained closed. Acting on the government’s directive, National Universities Commission, NUC, has warned vice chancellors against reopening universities for any activities.

The government, in a circular to heads of commissions and regulatory bodies in the education sector, insisted that schools at all levels were still closed, asking them to ignore fake news in the social media that it had directed resumption of schools.

The Ministry of Education, in the letter, through the Permanent Secretary, Sonny Echono, entitled: Re: Management of Coronavirus Pandemic,” said: “All schools shall remain closed as we closely monitor developments on the containment of COVID-19.”

The circular was sent to the executive secretaries, National Universities Commission, NUC; National Board for Technical Education, NBTE; National Commission for Colleges of Education, NCCE, and the Director, Basic and Secondary Education, BSE.

It read: “Further to our earlier circular, FME/PSE/HE/1041/C 1/Vol.1/137 of 19th March, 2020, this is to confirm that all schools shall remain closed as we monitor developments on the containment of COVID-19.

“This is without prejudice to officers on essential services and other operational exigencies as may be determined by the chief executive of each institution.

“All chief executives and other stakeholders are to ignore ‘fake news’ on the subject matter in the social media as the situation is under constant review and any decision on the resumption shall be conveyed through the appropriate channels.“

Following the directive by the ministry, the NUC has written to vice chancellors asking them to ensure the sustenance of ongoing closure of universities until further notice.

In a letter to all vice chancellors, signed by Director, Directorate of Executive Secretary’s Office, Chris Maiyaki,the NUC enjoined them to strictly adhere to the ministry’s directive that all universities remain closed to activities.

Vanguard

Link

LOCKDOWN: Churches, restaurants reopen in Germany

The waiters are wearing masks and there is no singing in Church but some Germans got a taste of normal life at the weekend as restaurants and places of worship reopened after weeks of coronavirus restrictions.

In the northeastern state of Mecklenburg – Western Pomerania , residents took advantage of the sunny weather to flock to their favourite eateries and cafes for the first time since mid- March .

The state on the Baltic coast , which has Germany ’ s lowest infection numbers , became the first in the country to reopen restaurants .

For the hospitality sector , the restart hasn ’ t come a moment too soon .

“ Economically , it has been a disaster for us , ” said Thomas Hildebrand, manager of Cafe Prag in the state ’ s picturesque capital of Schwerin .
Other states are set to follow with restaurants , cafes and hotels reopening across Germany in the coming days and weeks .

But dining experiences will be different in the age of the corona .

“ Our employees must wear masks and our customers must respect social distancing , ” Hildebrand told AFP , his own mask hanging around his neck .

Staff are also following other hygiene rules “ such as disinfecting tables , no common usage of certain utensils” , he said .

“ We ’ re trying to put this in place, it’ s new for us . But we are happy to be able to reopen . ”

Chancellor Angela Merkel recently said Germany had passed the “ first phase ” of the pandemic , allowing for a gradual return to normal – even if a spike in cases since then has revived concern about the country’ s infection rate.

AFP

Link

JUST IN: FG to commence school feeding programme in FCT, Lagos, Ogun states this week

The Federal Government has disclosed that the school feeding programme for pupils in primary schools will commence this week in four states.

As part of measures to cushion the impact of COVID-19 and lockdown on vulnerable households, President Muhammadu Buhari had, during his first broadcast in March, directed the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to work with relevant state governments in developing a strategy on how to sustain the school feeding programme despite closure of schools.

In carrying out the directive, the ministry said it would liaise with state governors to work out modalities on how the feeding programme would continue while pupils are at home.

The minister in previous fora had also hinted that a door-to-door voucher distribution system would be used for the feeding exercise.

Giving an update on the programme, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, said the exercise would commence in Lagos, Ogun, Kano states, and the FCT this week.

Speaking at the Karimajiji Disabled Colony in the FCT during the distribution of palliatives to Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), the minister said: “By next week(this week), we are going to start off the school feeding programme with FCT, Lagos, Ogun, and Kano states.

TheNation

Link

[JUST IN] Covid-19: “We are treated like prisoners”, Nigerians evacuated from Dubai cries out

Some Nigerians recently evacuated from Dubai , United Arab Emirates, have lamented that they are being treated like “ prisoners ” .

They told newsmen that the hotel, where they are being quarantined in Lagos , is surrounded by soldiers who do not allow them to even get fresh air or receive some sunlight within the compound .

One of them , who prefers anonymity for fear of being victimised , said , “ Sincerely , we have not had it good since we returned from Dubai . We all tested negative for COVID- 19 but we are being treated as if we have the disease .

“ We have been here for three days now but we have not been allowed to even breathe fresh air or even feel sunlight on our skin . It is as if we are in prison. Even the food we are being given is not good at all. We are just managing it. ”

Another evacuee told newsmen that no government official had called or visited to check their welfare except some officials of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control who visited them on Saturday morning .

“ We have been complaining about this but everything has fallen on deaf ears. No one from the government has called to ask about our living conditions. It was this morning ( Saturday) that some NCDC officials came to check our health status .

“ We are not allowed to even stroll within the compound . We are just inside our rooms. If things continue this way , some of us may even fall sick from being idle , ” he said .

The Minister of Information and Culture , Alhaji Lai Mohammed , neither responded to calls nor a text message .

The Chairman /Chief Executive Officer of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission , Abike Dabiri – Erewa, however , said inquiries should be sent to the Minister of Foreign Affairs , Mr . Geoffrey Onyema .

She said , “ All COVID- 19 issues are handled by the Minister of Foreign Affairs in consultation with the PTF ( Presidential Task Force ). NIDCOM ’ s role was to help co – ordinate the names of those who wanted to return , working with the mission .

“ And we got about 4 , 000 from about 75 countries . We are not involved in the logistics of their return . So please direct your questions to Hon. Minister of Foreign Affairs who is in total control . ”

No fewer than 256 evacuated Nigerians arrived in Lagos State from the United Arab Emirates on Wednesday .

Punch

Link

SALARIES PAYMENT: It is your entitlement, not favour ― ASUU tells members

Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has told its members not to see the payment of their withheld salaries by the federal government as favour but entitlement.

ASUU which also vowed to press ahead with its opposition to the deployment of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, IPPIS in universities, insisted that members must not take the government’s action as favour but what they were entitled to.

Its president, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, who said these, noted that as workers, the university lectures were entitled to their wages from their employers.

“It’s clear that what government paid was rightfully earned by our members, not anything special or doing us a favour. Therefore, ASUU Members Have No Apologies withdrawing from their accounts as appropriate,” a message he passed to trustees, principal officers and zonal coordinators read.

He tasked members to gear up for continued battle with the government in respect of the implementation of the controversial IPPIS scheme in the nation’s ivory towers.

Ogunyemi explained that a series of enquiries by members in many universities prompted his explanation.

To this end, he enjoined them not to be extravagant in their expenditure as according to him, the release of the withheld salaries wasn’t an end to the struggle to keep the implementation of the scheme away from varsities.

“Our comrades are strongly advised to be prudent as the struggle for the rejection of IPPIS and resolution of outstanding issues in the February 2019 FGN/ASUU Memorandum of Action (MoA) is far from over. The struggle continues! Biodun Ogunyemi.

“Trustees, POs (principal officers) and ZCs (zonal coordinators): Good evening comrades. A number of our colleagues have called or sent messages to make enquiries about payment of the withheld February and March 2020 salaries of our comrades in federal universities through the rejected IPPIS platform,” he said.

Recall that following recent directive by President Muhammad Buhari that withheld salaries of the lectures be paid to them immediately, the lecturers were last Friday paid accordingly.

The salaries being for the month of February, was held by the government following ASUU’s stiff opposition to the IPPIS and directive by its leadership to members not to submit their Bank Verification Number, BVN and other details to the government for enrolment in the scheme.

Ogunyemi, while throwing more light to his latest message to members, insisted that the union’s disposition to continue the discussion with the government on the 2019 FGN/ASUU memoranda of action was still in force

Recall that the union had on March 24, declared an indefinite strike after the expiration of two-week warning strike it declared in protest to government’s insistence to implement the IPPIS scheme in universities coupled with alleged government’s failure to adhere to the terms of the 2019 Memorandum of Action.

Vanguard