Link

JUST IN: UK to Evacuate Nationals from Nigeria Saturday

The United Kingdom’s Mission in Nigeria is to begin evacuating British nationals, who wish to leave the country over the COVID-19 pandemic from Saturday.

It said in a statement that the evacuation would continue till Monday, adding that more flights might follow if the already scheduled flight did not airlift all those intended to leave Nigeria.

In its travel advisory, the UK Mission said Britons would be evacuated from Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) in Lagos and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/04/15/updated-n21bn-donation-is-for-the-poor-eu-tells-nigeria/

It added that to be eligible for all flights, the primary residence has to be in the UK and that it would prioritise helping the most vulnerable and those who have an underlying medical condition, which places them at greater risk of serious illness if they contract COVID-19.
Intending evacuees are expected to pay for their seats.

The UK Mission noted that the federal government had assured it that people who exceeded their authorised visa expiry date as a result of travel restrictions linked to COVID-19 would not be penalised as over-stayers when they depart.

It stated: “There are currently no commercial options available to return to the UK from Nigeria. All airports in Nigeria are closed to all international commercial flights until 23 April. We know this concerning British people trying to leave Nigeria. The UK government has been working closely with airlines and has now secured agreement for charter flights to start from Nigeria to the UK, from both Abuja and Lagos.

“The Nigerian authorities have told us that people who exceed their authorised visa stays as a result of travel restrictions linked to COVID-19 will not be penalised as over-stayers when they depart.”

So far, over 2,000 foreign nationals from the US, Canada, Germany, Israel, Lebanon, Egypt, South Africa, and France have been evacuated from Nigeria.

The Nigerian Mission in the UK has also received over 140 applications from Nigerians resident in Britain who are interested in being evacuated.

Link

JUST IN: Lagos uncovers 119 with symptoms in two-day house-to-house search

The Lagos State Commissioner for Health , Prof . Akin Abayomi , said a total of 119 people with COVID- 19 symptoms have been identified in the state .

Abayomi , at a briefing , said a total of 118 , 000 households had been reached in the search of possible COVID- 19 cases in communities .

He said community search was activated to limit the spread of the disease in the state which had the highest number of COVID- 19 patients in the country .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/04/14/just-in-covid-19-osun-extends-lockdown-by-14-days/

“ We ’ ve embarked on an active case search in communities . The idea is to go to hot spots and go from door to door with our health personnel. So far , in the last two days , we ’ ve visited 118 , 000 households and we ’ re looking for the typical symptoms of COVID- 19 . We ’ ve identified about 119 people who have the symptoms that are suggestive of COVID- 19 .

“ But let me remind you that COVID- 19 is one of the viruses that can cause respiratory symptoms . There are many viruses . So , the idea is to take samples from these 119 and analyse them and that would give us an idea of how much COVID- 19 activity is happening in the communities , ” Abayomi said .

Link

UPDATED: N21bn donation is for the poor, EU tells Nigeria

the Head, European Union Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Amb . Ketil Karlsen, has said that the N21 bn ( € 50 m) donated to Nigeria by the EU is largely meant for the poor.

“ That is why part of the € 50 m we provide will also be for the relief and safety net for the most vulnerable people, internally displaced persons . The poor people that depend on the informal markets, they do day – to – day work to put food on their table ; the elderly , IDPs , and these, particularly , vulnerable people are the centre – stage of our intervention , ” he said .

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/04/14/just-in-eu-gives-nigeria-e50m-to-fight-coronavirus/

Earlier , he had said that the donation was also meant for the provision of Personal Protection Equipment , kits , and to double the testing capacity for Covid – 19 in the country.

Fielding questions from journalists in Abuja on Tuesday , shortly after announcing the € 50 m donation at the Presidential Villa , Karlsen said the fund , which would be administered by the United Nations would increase the capacity of COVID – 19 treatment in the country.

He said , “The pandemic requires global responses and if we try to fix it country by country , we may not get it right and that is why we are adopting a multilateral approach.

“ So , Team Europe came up with a significant package for Nigeria ; we are mobilising € 50 m and another € 1 . 2 m that we already gave as part of humanitarian assistance through UNICEF . ”

Karlsen stressed that the EU was concerned about the health and economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic , noting that Europe did not want Nigeria to experience what it was going through presently.
Earlier , the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd ) , commended the European Union for the donation .

Receiving the EU delegation , Buhari said the donation would go a long way in supporting Nigeria ’ s efforts at controlling and containing the virus .

The President , according to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity , Femi Adesina , also conveyed the condolences of the government and people of Nigeria to EU – member countries and families that lost their loved ones to the COVID- 19 pandemic .

He said , “ Although the EU is facing significant challenges due to this pandemic , I am indeed touched and grateful that the EU still had the vision and foresight to remember its friends , partners and allies across the world . ”

In his remarks, Karlsen described the donation , channelled through the United Nations COVID- 19 basket fund , as the largest single contribution to the response in Nigeria so far and the largest support that EU is providing anywhere outside Europe .

He said , “ We heard your call for assistance and the EU has reacted swiftly as a demonstration of our true partnership. ”

Link

[JUST IN] Covid-19: Osun extends lockdown by 14 days

Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola in a statewide broadcast announced the extension, saying the state cannot risk to expose its citizens to the deadly virus.

“My dear good People of the State of Osun, in order to ensure a total defeat of Coronavirus in our State, we’ve decided to extend the ongoing lockdown by another 14 days which will commence midnight of Thursday, April 16, 2020.”

Link

[JUST IN] Covid-19: Lawan, Gbajabiamila meet Buhari, seek SIP reforms

The Senate President , Ahmed Lawan , and the Speaker of the House of Representatives , Femi Gbajabiamila , met with the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) , behind closed doors to discuss the implementation of the National Social Investment Programme amid the coronavirus pandemic .

This comes days after a clash between the National Assembly and the Special Adviser to the President on Social Investment Programme, Maryam Uwais , over the need for a reform of the process of implementing the programme.

Lawan , who spoke to journalists after the meeting at the State House in Abuja , reiterated the call for reforms in the social investment initiatives , saying it was the right time to evaluate its progress since its introduction in 2016 .

He said , “ This afternoon , we had an engagement with Mr President to discuss with him what we , the leadership of the National Assembly , have resolved and our opinion on various issues regarding the fight against COVID – 19 in Nigeria and going forward .

“ We also believe that it is time to reform the way and manner we implement the Social Investment Programme. This is a very important programme that is to help Nigerians who are poor and vulnerable .

“ We believe that , having implemented this programme from 2016 to date , we should be reviewing to see and evaluate the efficacy and efficiency with which we have been implementing this programme . ”

Link

JUST IN: Court grants two Caverton pilots, 10 passengers bail

A Chief Magistrates ’ Court in Port Harcourt has granted bail to two pilots ; Samuel Ugorji and Samuel Buhari , after they were arrested for flouting an Executive Order on COVID- 19 by the Rivers State Government.

Also granted bail were 10 passengers , who were flown into the Air Force Base in Port Harcourt, the state capital .

They ( two pilots and 10 passengers ) are to appear in court on May 19 , 2020 for trial .

The 10 passengers were identified as Nwogu Chibunna , ‘ m ’ (39 ); Peter Michael , ‘ m ’ (43 ); Ajagba Iheanyi, ‘ m’ ( 35 ); Ekperewechi Oguguo, ‘ m’ ( 43 ); Nsikan Pius , ‘ m’ (38 ); Abanobi Chinoso , ‘ m’ (27 ); Udoh Hagan , ‘ m ’ (28 ); Okachukwu Chuks , ‘ m’ ( 41 ); Goddy Chukwu , ‘ m ’ ( 42 ); and Omerurike Chijioke , ‘ m ’ (43 ) .

Chief Magistrate, D . D. Ihua – Maduenyi , granted the two pilots bail after hearing the bail application by their counsel.

Link

JUST IN: EU gives Nigeria €50m to fight coronavirus

The European Union has given Nigeria € 50 million to fight the coronavirus disease which has killed at least 10 people in the West African country.

The donation was announced when the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ), received in audience the EU Delegation at the Council Chambers, State House, Abuja .

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity , Femi Adesina , made this known via a tweet .

Adesina said Head of the EU delegation at the event , Amb Ketil Karlsen, who announced the donation , also commended Buhari for extending Lagos , Ogun, and Abuja lockdown .
Karlsen was quoted as describing Buhari ’ s address to the nation on Monday as “ powerful ” , adding that the retired general took bold and necessary measures.

“ EU gives Nigeria a grant of 50 million Euro to fight COVID- 19 , ” Adesina tweeted.

Also , the Personal Assistant on New Media to the President , Bashir Ahmad , said , “ The European Union has donated a grant of € 50 million to the Federal Government, their contribution to Nigeria ’ s fight against # COVID19 , the Head of EU delegation , Amb . Ketil Karlsen announces the donation at a meeting with President @ MBuhari today in Abuja . “

This was after an initial lockdown order declared by the retired general on March 31 elapsed .

In a nationwide broadcast on Monday , the president extended the restriction by 14 days, saying the decision was a difficult one for his regime .

Buhari said the initial lockdown helped Nigeria in its fight against the coronavirus .

After the President ’ s address , the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control announced that “ 20 new cases of # COVID- 19 have been reported as follows : 13 in Lagos , two in Edo, two in Kano, two in Ogun and one in Ondo.

“ As of 09 : 50 pm on the 13 th April, there are 343 confirmed cases of # COVID- 19 reported in Nigeria. 91 have been discharged with 10 deaths .

Link

[JUST IN] Covid-19 won’t end till world goes on compulsory holiday ― Adeboye

THE General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has said the coronavirus pandemic would not end until God proves to the world that He is God.

He, however, urged Nigerians to remain on guard and not to be ‘unwise amid the Coronavirus pandemic.’

Preaching in a brief Easter service message titled: “A New Beginning” Adeboye said: “My God is not dead. He is alive and He is in control.”

Adeboye said: “We will remain on guard. We are not out of the wood yet. I want to assure you that your tomorrow will be alright.”

He said that although some other prophets had predicted that the COVID-19 pandemic would end at the end of March, he said God told him that there would be Coronavirus until the world goes on a compulsory holiday in recognition of His supremacy over the entire earth.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/04/13/just-in-ramadan-saudi-arabia-maintains-group-prayer-suspension-over-covid-19/

Adeboye said: “Some said there will be a seven-day rain after which the end of COVID 19 shall be wiped out by rain, but I told my children and the true children of God that Coronavirus will not die.

“God told your papa, who is not a prophet, but a pastor, that the virus will be there until the whole world has had a compulsory holiday. Until he proves to the whole world that he is God. He wants to prove to the world that he is in charge. Some people don’t know how to slow down and God knows how to apply brakes.

“I want to assure you that tomorrow will be alright. I hope you are enjoying your holiday because I am,” Adeboye said.

Vanguard

Link

[JUST IN] Ramadan: Saudi Arabia maintains group prayer suspension over COVID-19

As COVID-19 continues to spread in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, prayers will continue to take place at home, not in mosques, for Ramadan
Muslims will only be permitted to pray at home in Saudi Arabia during the upcoming holy month of Ramadan, the Saudi Minister of Islamic Affairs announced . This will remain the case until the coronavirus pandemic ends worldwide.

Since 19 March, group prayers at mosques have been suspended in an attempt to contain the outbreak, a measure set to continue according to the minister, Abdul Lateef al-Sheikh.

More news👉 https://latestnewsupdates.news.blog/2020/04/13/lockdown-we-will-dismiss-nurtw-members-caught-in-lagos-robbery-mc-oluomo/

According to Middle East Eye, Sheikh said the daily obligatory prayers observed by Muslims are more important than taraweeh prayers in Ramadan, adding that the instructions to stay home were in line with advice from the Health Ministry.

Sheikh told local media : “The suspension of performing the five daily prayers at mosques is more important than the suspension of taraweeh prayers. We ask Allah the Almighty to accept taraweeh prayers whether held at mosques, or homes, which we think is better for people’s health.”

Link

Lockdown: We will dismiss NURTW members caught in Lagos robbery – MC Oluomo

The Lagos State Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers , Musiliu Akinsanya also known as MC Oluomo, has said members of the union caught engaging in crimes during the coronavirus lockdown would be dismissed .

MC Oluomo disclosed this in a statement posted on his verified
Instagram page.

He implored his men to endure the season .

The NURTW boss said members apprehended at crime scenes would be prosecuted and dismissed while urging them to assist to obey the stay -at – home order of the government .

The statement read in part , “The NURTW Chairman enjoined all members to endure for the time being otherwise any member caught either attached to robbery or caught at the scene of the act will be totally dismissed and prosecuted by law .

“ MC Olumo advised members , including motorcycle and tricycle riders , popularly called Okada and Maruwa to adhere to the federal and state governments’ orders as regards the lockdown on movement .

“ He also implored all members especially the branch chairmen to be vigilant and assist their various communities in combating the daylight robberies that are currently being reported in different areas .

“ He pleaded with them to stay indoors because it is for the general good . ”