Link

Trump: There is evidence linking COVID-19 to Wuhan lab

US President Donald Trump has threatened new tariffs against Beijing after claiming there is evidence linking the coronavirus to a lab in China ’ s ground – zero city of Wuhan .

Asked if he had seen anything giving him a high degree of confidence that the Wuhan Institute of Virology was the origin of the outbreak , Trump replied , “ Yes , I have. ”

The Republican is increasingly making complaints over Beijing ’ s handling of the pandemic outbreak a major issue for his November reelection campaign .

He told reporters at the White House that US agencies were investigating how the virus first emerged and what China had done to stop it spreading to the rest of the world .

“ We ’ ll be able to get a very powerful definition of what happened , ” he said , adding that a report would be made to him “ in the not too distant future . ”

But even as the issue remains under probe , Trump said he already has suspicions .

“ They could have stopped it, ” he said , attacking China for not cancelling international flights out of the country in time .

Several theories are circulating on how the virus appeared in Wuhan , including that it emerged from a market selling live animals or accidentally from the Wuhan research lab .

The US intelligence community said it had concluded that the novel coronavirus originated in China but was not man – made or engineered.

Pressed by reporters at the White House for details on what made him so confident about a link to the laboratory, Trump replied : “ I cannot tell you that . ”

Regardless of where the blame lies for the outbreak , Trump is ramping up a war of words with Beijing , claiming again that “ China doesn ’ t want to see me reelected. ”

Link

JUST IN: We caught ‘Enemy of State’ who leaked Buhari’s speech – Adesina

Femi Adesina , Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) says the ‘ Enemy of the State ’ who leaked his principal’ s draft speech on Monday is “ already answering for his evil action ” .

The social media had been inundated with the President ’ s draft speech a few hours before his address to the nation on Monday .

The document , though marred with typos and other errors , showed some similitude with the one read by the President .

A striking difference was that the draft speech stated that the lockdown in Federal Capital Territory Abuja , Lagos and Ogun States , would be lifted on Saturday, May 2 .

However , Buhari in his address later that evening said the gradual easing of lockdown in the three places would be effective Monday , May 4 .

Reacting through his column, ‘ From the Inside ’ , Adesina said “ an Enemy of the State struck in Nigeria on Monday ” , saying the person was guilty of “sabotage” and “ does not wish his own country well at all” .

He said , “ I took a look at the circulating document , and within one minute , I knew that it was a rogue copy .

“ I made a few phone calls to those of us involved with the script , right from origination , which was from outside the Presidency , to final editing , which I did , and the conclusion was easy to reach .

“ Who would do such a thing , except an Enemy of the State , someone who wants to ridicule the government ?

“ But he forgot that in these days of technology , almost everything leaves a trail . Before the end of that evening , computer evidence had narrowed down the suspect , and he was already answering for his evil action . ”

“ There is a way we release information from the media office of the President . And the media knows it. If a presidential speech was to be given ahead , there would be an embargo on it for a particular time . The circulating copy bore no embargo , yet they fell for it and got embarrassed by publishing inaccurate information , ” he said .

Link

JUST IN: FG directs civil servants from level 14 to resume Monday

The Federal Government has ordered civil servants in the country to resume duties effective Monday , May 4 .

This was contained in a memo signed by the Head of Service of the Federation , Dr Folasade Yemi -Esan .

In the memo directed to all heads of Ministries, Departments, and Agencies, the HoS said the workers would be allowed to work three times in a week and closing time would be 2 pm .

She stressed the observance of social distancing , use of face masks, hand sanitisers , and good general hygiene at all government offices while noting that all Federal Secretariats have been decontaminated and efforts were ongoing to do the same in other public offices.

She said , “Further to Mr President ’ s broadcast on a phased and gradual easing of the lockdown measures occasioned by COVID- 19 , officers on GL 14 and above and those on essential services are hereby directed to resume work with effect from Monday , May 4 , 2020 in the first instance .

“ Offices are to open three times a week – Monday , Wednesday , and Friday – and close at 2 pm on each day . ”

Link

JUST IN: Obiano directs Anambra teachers to resume on Monday

Anambra State Governor , Willie Obiano , has directed all workers in the state to resume work on Monday , May 4 .

The workers were ordered home by the state government about a month ago as a measure to prevent the spread of coronavirus .

But in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Prof Solo Chukwulobelu , obtained by news correspondent , the workers were asked to be on their duty posts on Monday .
The statement included teachers amongst the category of workers that would resume work on Monday but stressed that primary and secondary school pupils in the area would remain at home.

The statement read in part , “The Governor of Anambra State , Willie Obiano , has directed that civil and public servants in the state , including primary and secondary school teachers resume work on Monday , 4 th of May , 2020 .

“ Pupils and students should still remain at home and follow Anambra Teaching On Air through ABS radio, ABS TV and ABS online platforms .

“ All workers in the state , and indeed all residents should procure protective face masks as this is now compulsory in Anambra State .

“ Workers and visitors will not be allowed access into the state secretariat and other government offices if they are not wearing face masks.

“ All should always observe strict personal hygiene protocols such as regularly washing of hands for 20 seconds each time, use of alcohol -based hand sanitisers and observing physical distancing guidelines.

“ These protocols must be followed at public gatherings which should not exceed 30 persons .

“ Places of worship should follow these strict personal hygiene protocols before and during worship, including compulsory wearing of face masks.

“ The places of worship should not sit more than two persons in a pier. The pier behind should be left vacant before sitting of congregants in another pier. Religious services should not last long. Vigils and other forms of religious night worship are not allowed this time. Congregants should disperse immediately, and not wait around after religious service . ”

Punch

Link

JUST IN: Trump to resume travelling next week

US President Donald Trump said he’ll resume flying around the country from next week and looks forward to holding “wild” campaign rallies as soon as he can.

Trump told reporters in the White House that he is “going to Arizona next week and we look forward to that.”

This will be his first cross-country trip since the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the United States.

He added that he will visit Ohio, one of the key swing states in the November presidential election, “very soon.”

The Arizona trip is focused on the economic recovery effort and is not a campaign rally, “because it’s too soon” for crowded events in stadiums, Trump explained.

But the Republican — facing a tight re-election battle against Democratic challenger Joe Biden and burdened by dire approval ratings — made clear he wants to get back to his once frequent rallies as soon as possible.

“Hopefully in the not too distant future we’ll have some massive rallies and people will be sitting next to each other,” he said.

“I can’t imagine a rally where you have every fourth seat full…. That wouldn’t look too good,” he added.

“I hope that we’re going to be able to do some good old-fashioned 25,000 person rallies where everyone’s going wild because they love our country.”

At a meeting with industry leaders, Trump sounded an upbeat message, insisting that the US economy will quickly bounce back from the staggering costs of the shutdown required to stop the spreading novel coronavirus.

Despite some experts’ warnings that widespread social distancing will have to remain in effect until a vaccine is made, Trump predicted that the danger would fade by itself and said that the United States was equipped to extinguish any “embers.”

“We’re looking for vaccines, we’re looking for therapeutics also,” he said. “I’m not relying on that (vaccines), I hope that’s going to happen.”

“I want to get back (to a full economy) with or without (a vaccine), but obviously we have to wait till it’s gone. It will be gone,” he said.

Asked how the virus would be eradicated without a vaccine, which is not expected to be available soon, Trump responded:

“It’s going to go. It’s going to leave, it’s going to be gone, it’s going to be eradicated.”

[AFP]

Link

UPDATED: Customs rejects 1,800 bags of rice returned by Oyo

A drama played out between the officials of the Oyo State Government and men of the Nigeria Customs Service , Oyo / Osun Area Command , Ibadan , as the Customs rejected the 1 , 800 bags of rice donated to the state by the Federal Government.

The officials of the Oyo State Government, led by the Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development , Jacob Ojemuyiwa, were denied entry at the main gate of the NIS zonal headquarters in Ibadan .

Recall that Dr Debo Akande, a Special Adviser to Governor Seyi Makinde, on Friday alleged that the rice was not good for human consumption.

The delegation was told to return the bags to the state government .

While addressing journalists , the commissioner said , “ The state had written a letter to the Nigeria Customs Service indicating that the bags of the weevil – infested rice would be returned . ”

The commissioner said the team would report back to the State Executive Council for necessary steps.

An official of NIS, who under condition of anonymity, said the delegate was turned back because the command had not received any directive to receive the rejected bags of rice.

Link

UPDATED: WAEC provides online resources for 2020 candidates

FOLLOWING the suspension of the conduct of the Senior School Certificate Examination, WASSCE, for its 2020 school candidates, the West African Examination Council, WAEC, in Nigeria has announced the provision of online portals to update candidates, other Nigerians on the rescheduling of examination.

Recall that WASSCE earlier scheduled for April 6 was suspended due to the global pandemic, Coronavirus.

In a statement signed by Demianus Ojijeogu, the Head of Public Affairs, WAEC, Nigeria, the body called on candidates and other Nigerians to avail themselves of the rich resources available on the portals to be abreast with happenings at the council.

Part of the release reads: “As we eagerly await the end of COVID-19 and the resumption of normal activities in the country, the West African Examinations Council in Nigeria wishes to urge candidates to take advantage of the rich resources provided by it on the following portals to keep themselves updated, pending the commencement of the examination.

The Chief Examiners’ Reports

“This will give you reasons why candidates who sat for previous WAEC examinations performed below expectations. It will help you to avoid the errors that made candidates record below-average performance. Log on to: http://www.waeconline.org.ng/e-learning and check the Chief Examiners Reports from 2008 to 2018.

“This portal gives a comprehensive analysis of candidates’ performance in all subjects, identifying their strengths and weaknesses, what they failed to do and what they should have done to perform better. The link again is: http://www.waeconline.org.ng/e-learning
Candidates’ Interactive Portal

“This is an interactive information sharing platform that allows the Council to effectively engage candidates before, during and after examinations. Candidates are advised to log on to the portal: http://www.waeckonnect.com with the login details sent to their email addresses during the registration process, and avail themselves of this veritable tool for their examination success.

“It is necessary to admonish candidates not to play around during this waiting period, but to study hard for the postponed examination. A new timetable will be announced once normalcy is restored.”

Vanguard

Link

JUST IN: Sanwo-Olu orders markets, restaurants to reopen

The Lagos State Governor , Babajide Sanwo- Olu , has directed the reopening of markets on selected days in the state .

He spoke during a televised press conference .

The Governor’ s Chief Press Secretary , Gboyega Akosile , in a series of tweets , said the governor also ordered that schools should remain closed .

He tweeted, “ Eateries and restaurants to open between 9 am – 3 pm and are to do only takeout . No eat in . Also , 9 am – 3 pm only ! Take note ! Must wear gloves and masks. Markets to open from 9 am to 3 pm on selected days . ”

He also instructed that entertainment centres within private estates be closed for two weeks starting from May 4 .

“ All entertainment centres including gyms, spa , recreational facilities inside private estates are to remain closed for two weeks post lockdown in Lagos . This would be reviewed after two weeks , ” he added .

Sanwo- Olu also said tricycle operators must only take two passengers in areas where they are allowed to operate .

“ Commercial motorcycle operation ( Okada) is also suspended across the state during the period of lockdown while tricycles ( Keke Napep ) is limited to two passengers only .

“ All commuters to wear masks and gloves. Handwashing equipment and thermometers must be provided. Buses to load 60 per cent capacity . No standing . ”

He also said only 20 people are allowed to attend a funeral .

“ Funerals are permitted . Only 20 people permitted and that includes the officiating ministers and Imams. No party to follow it, ” the governor added .

Link

JUST IN: Kaduna gets highest, Katsina, Benue lowest as FG shares N43bn among 24 states

Kaduna State achieved the highest number of results (nine) and got the highest share with N3. 960 billion, while Katsina and Benue got the lowest amount of N540 million each as Federal Government disbursed the sum of N43,416,000,000.00 ($120.6 million) to 24 states.

The fund is through a performance-based grant under the World Bank-Assisted States Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability (SFTAS) Programme-for-Results.

SFTAS is wholly-financed with a loan of $750 million from the International Development Association (IDA), a member of the World Bank Group.

On the Eligibility Criteria (EC), the minister said that States had to meet in order to be eligible to receive any grants included: the online publication of the approved annual budget and audited financial statement for the previous year.

The 24 states were said to have achieved: improved financial reporting and budget reliability; increased openness and citizens’ engagement in the budget process; improved cash management and reduced revenue leakages through the implementation of State Treasury Single Account (TSA); strengthened Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) collection; biometric registration and Bank Verification Number (BVN) used to reduce payroll fraud.

The 24 beneficiary states who were: Abia, Adamawa, Bauchi, Benue, Delta, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Niger, Ondo, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Sokoto, Taraba and Yobe states.

Vanguard

Link

JUST IN: CBN resumes dollar sales for SMEs, school fees

The Central Bank of Nigeria has resumed provision of foreign exchange to all commercial banks for onward sales to parents wishing to pay school fees and Small and Medium Enterprises.

The CBN Director, Corporate Communications , Mr Isaac Okorafor made this known in a statement in Abuja .

Okorafor explained that the development was due to the gradual easing of the COVID- 19 lockdown in the country and across the globe.

He said this step would also help owners of SMEs to make essential imports needed to revamp economic activities across the country.

“ In particular , the CBN is resuming the provision of over 100 million dollars per week for both categories .

“ The bank has also made complete arrangements to resume foreign exchange sales to the Bureau de Change segment of the market for business travels , personal travels and other designated retail uses, as soon as international flights resume .

“ With these actions , the CBN wishes to reiterate that it is adequately meeting the needs of all legitimate users , and our continued capacity to do so should not be in doubt .

“ There is therefore no need for panic by any end- user that could necessitate recourse to illegitimate sources and spike in foreign exchange rates .

“ In view of this , the bank has ramped up its surveillance of the foreign exchange markets for speculators , smugglers and other illegal users and will take decisive actions against anyone or institutions involved in such nefarious activities” he explained .

NAN