Link

UPDATED: Buhari will not address Nigerians today – Presidency

The Presidency has said that the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) , will not make any broadcast on COVID – 19 updates today .

Buhari ’ s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity , Femi Adesina , made this known via Twitter .

He said the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation , Boss Mustapha , would update the nation during its debriefings.

“ No presidential broadcast on COVID- 19 updates today .

“ None was planned . Rather , the Presidential Task Force will during its usual media briefings bring the nation up to speed on the next steps, ” he tweeted.

Link

‘We prefer Coronavirus than to be killed by bandits’, says Katsina District Head

Following bandits attacks on communities in Ruma and Batsari councils of Katsina State, the district head, Mu’azu, who holds the traditional title of Sarkin Ruma Katsina, said: “My people will prefer to die from coronavirus infection.

Not from these senseless killings orchestrated by bandits. So far, the pandemic has not claimed any life in Batsari and other neighboring councils, but the bandits have killed scores and attacked harmless villagers and residents.

So, what are we saying?” On the recent attacks launched by bandits at old and new Ruma, Mu’azu, while speaking to PRNigeria on telephone, said the marauding criminals after invading over 10 communities, killed and maimed several lives.

He said, “The thing is, the bandits always scatter themselves when going on operations against our villages. Hence, security personnel find it difficult sometimes to easily contain the bandits’ attacks. However, we are still calling on the Federal Government to deploy more soldiers, mobile policemen and fighter helicopters to Katsina.

Let them comb all the forests in our state, and eliminate these bandits.” Speaking on the floor of the Katsina State House of Assembly Chamber, Mustapha Jibiya, said the “Irresponsibility and insensitivity” of relevant stakeholders was responsible for growing insecurity in the State.

“It is very disturbing that from eight councils, we now have about 12 councils that are ravaged by the criminals. This is as a result of the insensitivity of both the State and Federal Government,” he said.

Vanguard

Link

JUST IN: Buhari, govs hold virtual meeting

The President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd . ) , and state governors are meeting , according to reports .

The meeting is holding via a video conference and Buhari is participating from the Presidential Villa, Abuja .

The Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum and Governor of Ekiti State , Dr Kayode Fayemi , leads his colleagues in the meeting .

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed ; Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria , Mr Godwin Emefiele; and the Attorney- General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami, are seen attending the meeting with Buhari in a photograph released by the State House.

The agenda is not clear , but it may not be unrelated to finances , the impact of COVID – 19 , and security challenges .

Punch

Link

Police lament absence of COVID-19 job allowance, face masks, others

Policemen deployed in the enforcement of the ban on interstate movements and other COVID- 19 -related assignments have cried out over non – provision of a special allowance and face masks for them.

The policemen , who spoke to newsmen on condition of anonymity because of the nature of their job , said since their deployment in state boundaries and intrastate patrol duties , no mention had been made of a special allowance despite the fact that they were at the risk of contracting COVID- 19 .

The President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) , in his first broadcast on COVID- 19 pandemic on March 29 , ordered a lockdown in the Federal Capital Territory, Lagos and Ogun states .

Although the enforcement of the lockdown is being carried out by all security agencies , the police , who are mainly responsible for the internal security of the country, have been deployed in all parts of the country to ensure compliance with the presidential order .

But some policemen have fallen victim of the deadly virus . For example , a deputy commissioner of police attached to the Zone 5 headquarters in Benin , Francis Bissong, died of COVID- 19 on April 21 .

On May 10 , the Public Relations Officer of the Federal Medical Centre , Abeokuta , Olusegun Orisajo , said a policeman died of COVID- 19 complications at the FMC.

In Edo State , police officers , who were manning the state boundaries, told newsmen that they had yet to get a special allowance despite the fact that they could easily be infected with the virus because they mingled with people when enforcing government ’ s order.
Some of them stated that they bought face masks to protect themselves from being infected with COVID- 19 .

A top police officer in the state , who confided in newsmen , stated “ Actually, we don ’ t have any form of protection . Doctors on duty have their own protection , but not our men. We have some face masks and hand gloves we made ourselves and others donated by one organisation . That ’ s all. But for the general insurance , there is no insurance or a special pay package like the one provided by the ministry of health for health personnel.

“ We have our men who send those coming into the state back . Some of the people our men mingle with are already infected with COVID- 19 . ”

Punch

Link

JUST IN: FG directs ASUU to suspend strike

THE Federal Government, yesterday, called on the striking Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, to suspend the strike and return to the classroom to manufacture drugs for the cure of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This came as ASUU described the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, IPPIS, as a tunnel created to siphon government resources.

ASUU proceeded on strike over the Federal Government’s insistence that the union should enroll in IPPIS if not its members will not receive their salaries.

The Federal Government said it was immoral for those who should be conducting research for the discovery of new drugs, medical equipment that would be used during the COVID-19 period to say that they were at home.

Speaking to newsmen in Abuja, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, said: “The government has shown enough goodwill. The expectation now is ASUU should announce the calling off of their strike, go back to the classroom and get back to the negotiating table and continue negotiations.

“Two reasons why they should call off the strike is that one government has shown goodwill, it has offered the olive branch that you are on a wrong strike and there is the issue of no work, no pay but the government is paying you. After all, the government is giving palliative to people, so why not extend it to you and your family members.

“Second, it is immoral and despicable for those who should be conducting research as Nigerians for the discovery of new drugs, medical equipment that will be used during the Covid19 period to say that they are at home playing ludo and draft and other games.

“Even if schools are not open the ASUU members especially researchers are supposed to be going into their laboratories, going to botanical gardens to get some shrubs and other plants to be used in producing drugs during this COVID-19.

“Those who are pharmacologists, those of them who are in the electronic department and software engineers, this is the time for research to manufacture ventilators or make some conventions.

“It is unpatriotic for them to even continue saying that they are on strike at this time. They should not be saying it.”

IPPIS, a tunnel to siphon govt resources — ASUU

Meanwhile, ASUU has described IPPIS as a platform for fraud and corruption.

Chairman of ASUU in the Federal University of Technology Akure, FUTA, Dr. Olayinka Awopetu, said: “The events of the last four months of using the platform for university staff had exposed that the platform is not only fraudulent corruption on steroids but also fraud on a roller coaster.

“Events of the last few months have not only vindicated the position of ASUU, but they are also proving that serious fraud could be going on through IPPIS if not urgently checked.

“The names of academics had been arbitrarily injected into the platform even without any registration or capturing their biometrics and queried the possibility of registering academics on a payroll system that was touted to have the unique identity management feature and based on personal biometrics.

“The answer is blowing in the winds, but this is of very grave consequences and Nigerians should be worried.”

Vanguard

Link

LOCKDOWN UPDATE: Buhari, PTF meet

The President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ), received a briefing from the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 chaired by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation , Boss Mustapha .

The task force members met with Buhari at the State House, Abuja , ahead of this week’ s review of the current easing of the lockdown in the Federal Capital Territory , Abuja as well as Lagos and Ogun States .

Buhari had on May 4 , relaxed the lockdown , and imposed a dusk – to -dawn curfew , ban on inter – state movements, compulsory use of face masks, amongst others across the country.

Also , civil servants on Grade Level 14 and above were asked to resume work three times a week.

Link

JUST IN: Buhari Receives Madagascan Covid-19 Herbal “drug”,  Says “I Will Listen To Science”

President Muhammadu Buhari at the State House, Abuja, received the Madagascan native formulation against the Covid-19 pandemic, and reiterated that he will listen to science before allowing traditional or any new medicines to be administered on Nigerians.

At an audience meeting with President Umaro Sissoco Embalo of Guinea Bissau who brought along with him the samples of the traditional medicine as shared to African nations by Madagascar, President Buhari said his position on all such herbal or traditional medicinal postulates had remained the same.

“We have our institutions, systems and processes in the country. Any such formulations should be sent to them for verification. I will not put it to use without the endorsement of our institutions,” said the Nigerian President.

On the main reason for his visit, President Embalo said having stabilized his country after the tussles that attended the general elections won by him, he had come to seek counsel from his “father,” President Buhari on his plan for a “government of national unity” and a proposed war against corruption in his country.

He also said that his new government met a country beset with a number of issues and problems, the resolution of which would require tremendous assistance from the “big brother,” Nigeria.

“Problems of Guinea Bissau are problems of Nigeria. I have come to you as your son. I need your help and assistance to make the people happy. I will not let you down, neither will I put you in any difficult situation,” the visiting leader told President Buhari.

In response to these demands, the Nigerian leader commended “General“ Embalo on his confirmation as President and for stabilizing the country. “I commend your political dexterity in getting the opposition to join the proposed unity government,” he said.

President Buhari restated the determination of Nigeria to keep West Africa politically stable and promised to support the new government in Guinea Bissau. “I will cooperate and help in every way possible,” assured the Nigerian President.

President Buhari also used the opportunity of the visit to praise the good work that the President of Niger Republic, Mahamadou Issoufou, who is the current Chairman of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is doing in the sub-region, and commended him for keeping him informed of all that is happening around.

Garba Shehu
Senior Special Assistant to the President
(Media & Publicity)

Link

JUST IN: Buhari receives Guinea Bissau President

The President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ), has met with his Guinea Bissau counterpart , Umaro Sissoco Embaló .

Buhari received his guest at the State House in Abuja , according to his Personal Assistant on New Media , Bashir Ahmad .

The purpose of the visit was , however , not disclosed .

The PUNCH reports that the Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 , Boss Mustapha , had said his principal ordered the airlifting of a consignment of Madagascar ’ s COVID Organics from Guinea Bissau .

“ Madagascar has made allocations to various countries and sent them to Guinea Bissau . We ‘ re supposed to make arrangements to freight Nigeria ’ s allocation from Guinea Bissau ; it‘ ll be subjected to the standard validation process for pharmaceuticals.

“ Mr President has given instructions for the airlifting of Nigeria ’ s allocation of the Madagascar COVID- 19 Syrup ; also given clear instructions that it must be subjected to the standard validation process for pharmaceuticals; there will be no exceptions for this , ” Mustapha , who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation , had said .

Some African countries have taken delivery of consignments of the Malagasy potion touted to cure coronavirus .

Madagascar said the drink is derived from artemisia annun, a plant with proven anti – malarial properties , and other indigenous herbs .

Punch

Link

JUST IN: Again, Ogun extends lockdown by one week

For the third time , Ogun State Governor , Dapo Abiodun , announced the extension of COVID- 19 lockdown in the state for another one week till Sunday , May 2 .

Abiodun said this while addressing newsmen at the Governor’ s Office , Oke Mosan , Abeokuta .

The governor cited non – compliance with the safety regulations and the community spread of the virus as reasons for extending the sit – at – home order.

He stated that the state officials would continue to monitor the level of compliance with the lockdown measures and the incidence of community transmission to determine easing of the lockdown .

He said “ Consequently , in view of the evidence of community transmission and poor compliance with the lockdown measures , we are constrained to extend the lockdown by another week till Sunday 24 th of May .

“ The current pattern of lockdown with relaxation windows from 7 . 00 am to 5 . 00 pm on Monday , Wednesday and Friday continues .

“ We will continue to monitor the level of compliance with the lockdown measures and incidence of community transmission and hopefully, there will be positive developments that will enable us further ease the lockdown at the end of this new lockdown period . ”

Punch

Link

COVID-19: Brazil health minister Teich resigns just weeks into the job

Brazilian Health Minister Nelson Teich resigned over what a ministry official said was “ incompatibility” with President Jair Bolsonaro ’ s approach to fighting the country’ s spiralling coronavirus crisis .

Teich, a 62 – year- old oncologist , served in the far – right president ’ s cabinet for less than a month .

His predecessor , Luiz Henrique Mandetta , resigned on April 16 , also after clashing with Bolsonaro , a vocal critic of the stay – at – home measures Mandetta recommended to contain the virus .

Teich and Bolsonaro reportedly disagreed over use of chloroquine to treat the new coronavirus . Bolsonaro touts the drug as a promising treatment , despite studies casting doubt on its effectiveness and raising concerns about its safety .

The ministry announced Teich’ s resignation in a brief statement , saying a press conference would be held later .

The news drew anti – Bolsonaro protests. In Rio de Janeiro , residents banged pots and pans out their windows, shouting “ Get out , Bolsonaro !”

Brazil has emerged as one of the countries hit hardest in the pandemic , with a sharply rising death toll that has reached nearly 14 , 000 .

AFP